Rural King Mystery Chicken

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SageSkye, Mar 24, 2017.

1. SageSkye

SageSkye New Egg

Mar 24, 2017
    Florida
    I was referred to this forum to try to identify my mystery chicken. I got three straight run Silkies from Rural King 8 weeks ago. Well, one of these is not like the others. Clearly not a Silkie! Anyone have an idea what this mystery chick might be? It's growing like a weed and has a really bold personality. I went back to try to see what was nearby that might have been thrown in with the Silkies, but everything was different and none looked like this. I thought it might be a roo, but now I'm not so sure. I really just need to identify it first. The comb is throwing me off. Thanks for any help.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    Rose comb black

3. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

That is definitely a cockerel. [​IMG]

Yes, rose comb... what color are the ear lobes? If red, thinking Wyandotte.

If white, Rosecomb... but those are bantam, don't know if they would grow that much faster than a silkie..

That Sikie has an awful large comb for 4 weeks as well, unless it's an optical illusion. Is it bearded or non bearded?

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like a Blue Wyandotte to me.

5. EggSighted4Life

Ah, those are on the blue side now that you mention it. One of my favorite colors. [​IMG]

6. SageSkye

SageSkye New Egg

Mar 24, 2017
    Florida
    It's lobes are yellow and it's not bearded as far as I can tell at this age. And yes, I'm almost positive that Silkie is a roo. The mystery chick's comb is HUGE which is one reason I'm having trouble figuring it out. lol

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Blue Wyandotte

8. EggSighted4Life

Wyandotte is most likely your correct answer. I hadn't seen other varieties than laced, but it all adds up. [​IMG]

The comb is huge because it's a boy and that is called a rose comb. The silkies' is called a walnut comb. Bearded boys have much harder to see waddles than non bearded was the only reason I asked as a means of helping figure out your other genders. How is your other silkie looking?

Do you have other chickens? Are you planning to keep your silkie boy or this one?

9. pineapple416

pineapple416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2014
    Western Washington
    I agree with Blue Wyandotte, and almost 100% a cockerel with a comb like that at his age. He is a gorgeous boy!

10. SageSkye

SageSkye New Egg

Mar 24, 2017
    Florida
    I have 6 other chickens. I also have a friend with several acres that will take a roo or two. I have neighbors so we'll see how that goes. The silkie we suspect is a roo is so sweet that I hope I'll be able to keep him. As for the mystery chicken, if he is a he I'm not sure I'll be able to keep him. The other silkie is looking to be a female at this point. I've only had chickens about 3years so I'm still learning.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by