1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rusing an old coop..Possibly my new project?!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Cheyenne2929, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Cheyenne2929

Cheyenne2929 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2012
    Excuse my horrid typing. The title is Re-using, not rusing!
    My family used to have chickens when I was little. About all I remember is that I named them, and a weasle killed them one night. (bloody nasty mess!) After Mr. Weasle parents got out of chickens. Old coop turned into junk storage area. It is in bad disrepair but I think the bones will do. Originally i wanted 2-4 hens, now leaning towards 4-6 I had wanted to build a chicken tractor to move the hens about to let them forage (20 acres), but with so much to do here on the farm hubby said no. We have a horse farm and there is sooo much to fix and do that he does not want to spend time and money onsomething that is not a necessity. He gave me two options. Find a cheap small coop (yeah right! Cheap!) or fix up the old coop.
    I think the framing and roof and maybe floor are all ok, but the siding is nearly gone and the wire is all rusted and falling apart. The inside is empty..except for some junk, and an old brooder still in the box (no use to me now since I just want eggs for eating!) There is a little chicken door in the front under the "window" and a big people door on the one side. It looks like the only ventilation, besides the big holes in the rotten siding, is the big screen window in front.
    Besides needing roost bars and nesting boxes (before the hens lived on the floor and laid eggs in the corners) what other improvements should I make to this thing. Besides the obvious new siding and wire! I dont like to do anything 1/2 way and chickens have become an obsession! But I def have to keep the cost low.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    The lattice in the front is not part of the coop,it is trellis for our veggie garden. It is covering up the chicken door on the front. The chain link, with some improvements will be my run. I plan to let them free range some also..Wish I had hens now to dig through our garden before we plant it, aerate and get them buggies! Will have to wait for next year for that though!
    What do you guys think? Suggestions, comments welcome!
    Oh btw it is approx 14'x6' and 5' tall in back and about 7' in front.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  2. Kurrudii

Kurrudii Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2012
    Arizona
    Nice! I think that coop will be an awesome project to renovate! (as i'm looking to renovate mine as well to accomodate some special needs hens)
    Cant wait to see some progress shots!

I see you have a lot of buckets laying around, you can make those into nesting boxes.
    Something like these:
    http://backyardpoultrymag.com/issues/6/6-4/a_nest_box-2.jpg
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/6674/5-gallon-buckets-for-nests/20

Do the chain link as a run, maybe run some smaller chicken wire around the inside to keep snakes/ smaller predators out.
    Find some free pallets on craigslist and other places and re use those to patch up the holes.

That's all of my ideas for you right now.
    :D

3. Cheyenne2929

Cheyenne2929 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2012
    Never thought about buckets for nesting boxes!

4. 3forfree

3forfree Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan
    Can you explain these special needs hens please. thanks

5. Kurrudii

Mar 13, 2012
    Arizona
    I have a hen that only has one working leg, she hops around just fine, but i need to make the nesting boxes lower and wider to allow her to get up off the ground to nest/roost.
    As well as make a cold shelter for all my girls, mostly a modern game hen that wont survive a rare arizona winter.

right now I have an open air coop that only has a roof and a backside. Its basically just a large run.

6. 3forfree

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan
    So can she jump? If so How high. maybe you could just make a ramp and she could hop up to the nest box.

7. Kurrudii

Mar 13, 2012
    Arizona
    The nesting boxes are at the very top of the coop, she can't jump that high, so I want to put them about 1 foot off the ground and make an easy wide ramp for her. So far my nesting boxes are made from plastic rubbermaid storage containers, so they are large enough for her to fit confortably. My one legged hen has a few months to go before she moves into the larger pen.

8. 3forfree

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan
    Looks like you have enough to do and all the right things to use for your project, good luck

9. Kurrudii

Mar 13, 2012
    Arizona
    Thank you :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by