Russian Orloff Bantams

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by silverbeartx, Feb 1, 2011.

1. silverbeartx

silverbeartx Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2011
    Texas
    I am interested in Orloff Bantams, are there many people raising them?

2. rbloomer

rbloomer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2011
    fort collins, colorado
    I have a pair listed in the auction section. I hatched them from eggs from rare feathers farms.

3. Gresh

Gresh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    North Carolina
    I've only heard of Rare Feathers Farm raising them. Despite the fact the the bantam Orloffs are in the ABA standard, I think they are an incredibly rare find at most of your poultry shows. Meyer Hatchery in Ohio claims to sell Spangled and White Orloff bantams, but given the rarity of Orloff bantams, I doubt they have the real deal.

Hope you find what you're looking for [​IMG]

God bless,
    ~Gresh~

4. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    No, there are not many people raising them. Rare Feather Farms is probably the most well known (or at least around here), but I have seen them elsewhere. I ordered my chicks from http://www.loudenfarms.com/Poultry/Chickens/Pages/Bantam_Russian_Orloff.html The owner, is a BYC Member (sixlittlechickies). I can't remember where she got her stock form, but it wasn't Rare Feather Farms.

5. Gresh

Gresh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    North Carolina
    I've seen photos of their stock. I'm not an Orloff expert but their Orloffs seem to be lacking in proper beards/muffs. Good type otherwise, though, as I recall....

6. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    Yes, I just noticed that hen earlier today (though I had a few E.E's develop that look after they were beard picked, so perhaps that is even the case). But, in the scheme of things that is an easy fix, one can cull against it as soon as they hatch.

7. Chicken Junkies

Chicken Junkies Chillin' With My Peeps

We have a pair of Bantam Russian Orloff and a bunch of chicks in the grow out pens. We are looking for some good new lines to add to our flock. Please contact us if you have Bantam Russian Orloff or know someone who does. Wish I had seen your auction, Renae.
    [​IMG]

I heard that Rare Feathers Farm actually got birds/eggs from Louden Farms.

8. mrandmrschicken

mrandmrschicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    NW IA
    Rare feathers has 2 of my pullets, they are the two pictured on feathersite.
    I also have 4 white pullets and a crele cockerel in addition to spangled.

9. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

I did get three cockerels from them (Louden Farm). One was not bearded and I kept the other two. They have horrid dispositions, LOL. I do have two pullets from Eric and the rest are all offspring of the crossing of the two lines. I'm working on type, all of the time and hoping to get better temperaments in the new line. So far, the best hold-back roosters are much more reserved and pretty shy--which is better than attacking you through the wire or ripping your pants when you go in to clean! [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  10. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

I do breed toward the standard in ABA and I use the ABA standard for my Large Fowl Orloff as well. I show both. I only breed chickens that can be shown. I just took five of my bantams to the Cascade Show in March. All did well. In fact, when choosing an AOCCL group winner, of my evil roos was a runner up!

My bantams and LF are pictured on Feathersite. You can also see additional photos on my website.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by