Russian Orloffs are on their way! Yay!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by no roosters, Mar 7, 2012.

1. no roosters

no roosters Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2011
    Austin
    I got on a waiting list for Russian Orloff pullets a few months back and completely forgot about it, until this morning. I got a pleasant surprise this morning when the phone rang and I was told that they were shipping today and will be here tomorrow morning.[​IMG]

Oops I forgot to mention that I have not been planning on raising baby birds since I had forgotten about the waiting list so I am not prepared at all. Luckily I should have all the necessary components to make a brooder. Now the mad dash to get it done before they arrive in the morning.

Any advice and suggestions would be much appreciated, ie. bedding suggestions, and any other do's and don'ts.

I will post pics and status updates once the babies arrive tomorrow.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Congrats! They are beautiful birds!

3. no roosters

Nov 10, 2011
    Austin
    Well the babies came in this morning and to my surprise my order of 5 Russian Orloff pullets was turned into 5 Orloff pullets and 20 roosters that I am not sure what they are yet.[​IMG] So much for no roosters. I broke my wife's one rule about chickens without even knowing it. What am I going to do with 20 roosters? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I will post pictures of the babies as soon as I can get them uploaded to my computer.

Also I was able to turn a vanity cabinet that I had sitting in the garage into a brooder.[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  4. AlaskaChicks

AlaskaChicks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2012
    oh no! how did that happen?

5. no roosters

Nov 10, 2011
    Austin
    Not real sure, the packing list said males added for warmth. I wish I had known I needed to have 25 birds, I would have ordered birds I wanted, rather than get 20 males that I cant keep or even know what they are.[​IMG]

6. Mingming

Mingming Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    NJ
    That's crazy! Best of luck... Perhaps you can craigslist the boys? They're gorgeous birds though... I'd never heard of them before.

7. no roosters

Nov 10, 2011
    Austin
    Here is a pic of the brooder after I finished expanding the inside and a couple of the babies on day four of being here
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. marndt0579

marndt0579 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2011
    North Ia
    [​IMG]Where did you get your orloff chicks from, I got 25(15pullets,10 stsaight run ) 3-2-12 from privett hatchery out of New Mexico . They sent 27 all alive on deliery but lost 3 . I have 2pair of mature orloffs also

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  9. no roosters

Nov 10, 2011
    Austin
    I got them from Ideal. I wish I had ordered more Orloffs rather than getting 20 packing peanuts. Oh well I guess it is too late now.

10. AuberyMirkwood

AuberyMirkwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    Clovis NM
    Oh my gosh! Looks like you got some EEs in there! Lucky! I love their beards! Sometimes even if they say males you can get females. All my non production packing peanuts appeared to be st run. One time I only got one boy out of the bunch :-D
    Edited to add: feathered feet too! Really, since you didn't get the classic red packing peanuts it looks like you have some awesome chicks there :D

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by