Russian Orloffs... PLEASE tell me they are girls!!

happyhens120

Songster
8 Years
Aug 8, 2011
Central PA
These ladies are Spangled Russian Orloffs... they are about 14 weeks old. Beautiful, rare birds! But... I'm questioning (again) their gender. I was assured they were pullets, but they are unlike any other breed I have and I'm having a hard time with their gender. Are those saddle feathers forming, or is that typical for RO pullets/hens? Thanks for your help!! Also... if anyone of you are RO breeders and these turn out to be girls for sure, got any roosters to sell?

102916_p9025428.jpg

102916_p9025451.jpg

102916_p9025456.jpg

102916_p9025417.jpg

102916_p9025429.jpg

102916_p9025422.jpg

102916_p9025415.jpg

I'll be honest: I don't know much about the breed, but they do look awfully "leggy" with thick legs and big feet, long too, for me to definitively say pullets. And it almost looks like saddle feathers...
idunno.gif

I'm stumped.

3rd pic top chicken.. kinda looks like saddle feathers... but ..not sure they kinda remind me of that de uccle breed ( killed that spelling ) its a beautiful bird, if you don't want it ill take it!!
love.gif

My Speckled Sussex gals have that kind of saddle feathers, so I will have to say those are girls!!
lol.png

Quote:
I am loving your confidence, and crossing my fingers that they are girls!
fl.gif
Guess I will find out for sure when they either crow or lay!
hu.gif

Quote:
Thanks! I must agree!
smile.png
They are from my local Agway, but when I asked where the came from, the lady said from a breeder in Texas. Can't remember if it was Sand Hill Preservation Center or H and H Poultry. Both carry Spangled Russian Orloffs.

Quote:
Thanks! I must agree!
smile.png
They are from my local Agway, but when I asked where the came from, the lady said from a breeder in Texas. Can't remember if it was Sand Hill Preservation Center or H and H Poultry. Both carry Spangled Russian Orloffs.

Wow....our local Agway doesn't sell chicks anymore and TSC sells a very limited selection. What a great find
smile.png
I would have bought a bunch!

Back
Top Bottom