Russian orloffs

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by motherx3, Dec 17, 2012.

1. motherx3

motherx3 Out Of The Brooder

I have spangled orloffs. Does anyone else have any of this wonderful breed.

2. Fowl Mouth

Fowl Mouth Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2012
    Midwest USA
    You know, I'm kind of sad that no one else has posted here. Another old breed going the way of the dodo. So few people seem to have them these days. Myself included, unfortunately. I had some years back, would love to get back into them again next fall or in 2014, once I get my permanent breeding pens and coops established.

It's been a while, but I do remember some of the cockerels were so curious and always under foot when I went into the barn. I can't recall much of the females. They were all hand raised from day one, but its the boys I remember most. I did have one big guy named Vlad that was a total back pocket kind of bird. Anytime I went out into the barn or pasture he was right there with me.

Ah, memories. Making me want them even more right now. [​IMG]

I'd love to see some pics of your birds if you have any. Maybe you can tell us about them and their antics.[​IMG]

3. motherx3

motherx3 Out Of The Brooder

I am just getting into them. There is now a society to insure these beautiful chickens survive. They even have a face book page. I have found a few breeders and will be getting more stock this coming year to be able to breed quality spangles. Right now I have 2 pullets and 1 Cockrel. As only 1 breeder and all mine are siblings so do not want to breed back. Just waiting for my girls to start laying and then I will enjoy their eggs as much as their company.
    They are my kids pets and are amazing. They are calm and so inquisitive. They want to be with us when ever we are out.
    I will post more photo's tonight as can not do off my phone.

4. chickenhoarderwannaB

chickenhoarderwannaB Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2010
    Loxahatchee
    I just bought 3 babies last week, that are supposed to be all females. I think these are really unusual and interesting birds and am looking forward to watching them grow up.

5. skydancer28

skydancer28 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2008
    Hi,

I hope I'm not too late to chime in...I have four Mahogany Russian Orloff hens that are about eight months old presently. They have been laying since Christmas--about 40 eggs/month, and I am not sure if three or all four are actually laying. No supplemental lighting, either. Mine are not the friendliest of birds, but, I think they would be if I had more time to spend with them. They are beautiful with their hawkish good looks.

Finding a rooster has proven difficult, although I do know of two individuals currently incubating eggs. I hope to get my once-broody Olive-egger to raise some Orloffs for me.

So you are in Maple Ridge? I am not too far south of you, in Everson, WA. Good to hear there is another Orloff fan nearby!

Dianne

6. chickenhoarderwannaB

Mar 11, 2010
    Loxahatchee
    I've just discovered that only one of my Orloff chicks is really an Orloff. I have no idea what the other 2 mystery chicks are but definitely not Orloffs. I'm kind of bummed but I'm going to get some eggs and hatch them out. I have little chance of finding any locally.

7. Cknldy

Cknldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2012
    Appalachian mtns
    It really helps to just start talking:) I found out that a young lady from my local TSC had Russian Orloffs- picking up hatching eggs from her Thursday. Now I am really trying to find eggs or chicks for diversity as far as future hatching. I don't agree with mating sisters and brothers, not even father/ daughter mother/ son mating. May have to order from hatchery:-(

8. chickenhoarderwannaB

Mar 11, 2010
    Loxahatchee
    I just got 3 more chicks from the feed store. All 3 are REAL orloffs this time and I'm getting 6 eggs from Spring Hll Poultry Conservatory that were shipped today. My one little orloff from the first batch is just adorable. She runs around the yard like a road runner and is very food motivated. lol

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is one of the new chicks. I can't wait to hatch my eggs out. Hopefully I'll get at least one roo. =)

9. Cknldy

Cknldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2012
    Appalachian mtns
    The russian orloffs on the front of backyard poultry magazine is the light color whereas the mahogany is easier to find around here. Anyone have chicks or hatching eggs available close to Appalachian Mtn region? The eggs in the bator all have the same parents and I would like to hatch russians from my own stock next year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by