Rust colored poo in 6 week old chick..... Update now Mucusy poop W/ Red New PIx Post 1

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by aaggjg, Apr 19, 2012.

1. aaggjg

aaggjg Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2011
    I had my 3 6-7 week old chicks out this morning to sunbathe and one of them had a few rusty terra cotta colored poop... They are eating chick starter was medicated but just switched them to non medicated ... and they have been getting a little bit of tomato for the last few days. Is this Cocci?? There is no behavioral changes that I can notice in this chick.....

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

[​IMG]

Here is a new poop this morning from the same chick.... about 7-8 weeks old

[​IMG]

I forgot to mention that the chick is acting totally normal..... Thanks

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    That's not cocci. I recommend that you continue to feed them starter/grower feed only... no treats, no tomatos.

3. aaggjg

Sep 29, 2011
    Great News!!!! I haven't been giving them many treats just started to a few days ago..... So you think I shouldn't be worried???

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Nope. Stop the tomatos and it should change back to normal looking poop. ETA: Here's a link to the poop chart for future reference:
    http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  5. aaggjg

Sep 29, 2011
    Thanks I've seen that chart a MILLION times but never seem to see my exact chicken poop on it :)

6. WI FarmChick

WI FarmChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    No you probably won't see your chickens exact poop on it.... but it is great as a reference.

Your poop pic doesn't look like it has any shed intestinal lining in it.... like the one in the poop chart.

And It doesn't look like it has blood in it either. To me it also looks like something they eat colored the poop...........a tomato color.

But I do like the chart it really helps to figure things out. [​IMG]

Good luck.

7. aaggjg

Sep 29, 2011
    It is a great reference and I'm thankful for it but I wish there were constant updates :lol: I gave myself a real scare the other day. I went in the coop and saw a really red decal poop.... Thought oh no my birds have cocci.... Well then the lightbulb went off. I had feed the girls a ton of beet greens with red stalks! Phew..... :p

8. WI FarmChick

WI FarmChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Yes we do have to add up all the symptoms which include poop (sometimes) to determine just what we are dealing with. There are so....many bad things that our chickens can "catch" that we are constantly on the watch for. I am glad you are watching your girls closely. Bio-security is also something we need to be doing very diligently. There's a recent post of a women that had to kill her entire flock just because of a simple sneeze.....It is so sad to read these posts......but I have included it if you would like to read it.

Bio-Security is needed.

[FONT=helvetica, sans-serif]I was trying to incubate my eggs to sell the chicks this year. My first set of eggs died after piping, I only hatched one girl. I opened each egg to find out what happened so I could correct this problem. After this first chick survived we had several chicken owners at our farm picking out hens from one coop. After they collected a couple of hens, they came into my hatching room where my one lonely chick was kept so I could write up the paper work and show them the NPIP certification. The whole time this is going on my two week old chick was riding on my shoulder. I spent most of my day with her with me since she hatched. If she wasn't with me she would drive everyone nuts crying for me.[/FONT]
    [FONT=helvetica, sans-serif]I was out of chickens to sell, but my second batch hatched a week later. [​IMG] My baby chick was now four weeks old and thought she was mom to the new chicks. She taught each of them how to eat, scratch, drink and kept them warm at night. Every morning when I opened the lid she would jump on my lap. That's when she sneezed on me[​IMG], about two weeks after buyers had been in the coops and some had held her. I didn't think anything of it that day. The next day, when I got home I opened the lid to see my baby girl. The other chicks now a week old in the brooder were sneezing too. No other problems, just a simple sneeze.[​IMG][/FONT]
    [FONT=helvetica, sans-serif]I called the vet who got me in right away! They did a stool sample which came back negative and a blood test. He told me the white blood cells are slightly elevated and I had [/FONT]
    [FONT=helvetica, sans-serif]Mycoplasma[/FONT][FONT=helvetica, sans-serif]. He gave me Tylan to treat everyone with. I looked up the [/FONT][FONT=helvetica, sans-serif]disease[/FONT][FONT=helvetica, sans-serif] and freaked. [/FONT]
    [FONT=helvetica, sans-serif]After killing all my eggs in the bator and all my chicks[​IMG] I got on here and read a story of a woman who had the same problem. I don't remember who it was or where I found her story but I cried as she asked someone to come out and cull her birds. I cried for her, I cried because of all the people telling her not to cull them,[​IMG] to just treat them. We still have 8 birds to cull, and one more coop to bleach. I don’t want to pass this along to other chicken owners when I go out to buy feed or go groceries shopping. The disease can be spread on my clothing or hair, so I have been taking care of the remaining 8 to cull at night only, before going to bed.[/FONT]
    [FONT=helvetica, sans-serif]I didn't know I had it, none of my other chickens showed signs of it (and still don't), just those chicks. They didn't even show signs when I stressed them out by chasing, chatching and culling half the flock. I didn't know that the people who were coming into the coop could be carriers. I didn’t know that my adults could be the carriers and not show any symptoms. My adults have not been tested for it yet, but will be culled. [/FONT]
    [FONT=helvetica, sans-serif]I am going to start over. I have eggs on order. When those eggs hatch I have to wait two weeks then swab them and send the swabs to MSU. If they pass the Mycoplasma and NPIP testing then I would like to vaccinate them just like I vaccinate my dogs. I have contacted the company who makes the vaccine, but the only way they sell it is in quantities of 10. Each one would treat 2,000 birds and must be used as soon as I mix it. Each of the vials is around $60 which to me is worth it since each of those adult birds were $20, then $91 for NPIP testing, and I paid around $140 to be told the sneezing was a disease. After paying for that vet bill I discovered I could have swabbed my flock and sent the swabs to our vet school (MSU) and saved quite a bit of money.[/FONT]
    [FONT=helvetica, sans-serif]After losing all my chickens to a disease, I discover it is easily spread by people, other chickens, wild birds and passed through the eggs. Most chicken owners don’t even know they have this disease, because the chicken only shows signs when it’s stressed. My only symptom was a couple of sneezes from week old chicks! [/FONT]
    [FONT=helvetica, sans-serif]The hardest part about this disease and most chicken diseases is that a lot of people treat the chickens with antibiotics. When they no longer show any symptoms the flock owner keeps showing, selling and trading from the diseased flock, infecting others.[​IMG] [/FONT]

[FONT=helvetica, sans-serif]Sometimes being a responsible pet owner is the hardest thing to do. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Edited by Wickischickies - 4/12/12 at 10:21am[/FONT]

9. chickgonecrazzy

chickgonecrazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2012
    Ohio
    Thank you for so much good info. I never thought a sneeze could be a disease.

10. aaggjg

Sep 29, 2011
    Thanks I am well aware of biosecurity. I went to my first poultry show a few weeks ago and when I got home I put all my clothes in the washer before I went in the house and then jumped into the shower!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by