Rusting galvanized waterer......

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by beebiz, Nov 20, 2007.

1. beebiz

beebiz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2007
    W. Tennessee
    I use a Little Giant, 5 gallon, galvanized water fountain to water my chickens with. I've only had it about 4 or 5 months and it is already rusting. I've never had trouble with rust in anything that was galvanized. Do any of you have any idea on how I can stop the rusting?? Anything short of buying another fountain??

Thanks for your input.

Robert

2. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    Quote:Its the water and whats in it thats causing the rust, I personally would not sweat the rust. that being said clean it(the rust) then paint it with something not toxic. Some sort of enamal I suspect, although there are spray cans of Cold galvanize available. Not sure of the potable water aspects of that though!

hope I helped,
    Randy

dont know why i quoted you on this,.....hit the wrong response button I think.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  3. beebiz

beebiz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2007
    W. Tennessee
    Thanks Randy. It may be something in the water. But, we live in the country and have well water (I forgot to mention that before). So, I know it's not chlorine in the water. I actually have two of the waters that are the same age, and the other one is showing no signs of rust at all. That was what had puzzled me. I guess it must have just gotten a better galvanized coating.

Thanks again,
    Robert

4. johnnyjack

johnnyjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    usa
    just buy plastic. use the galv- until it gets holes then buy plastic .all over ebay. cheap.

5. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    Quote:thats right a pin hole would start the rust problem, and even well water will cause rust. dont tell anyone i said this but we have rust stains in our tub occasionaly and we ahve well water also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by