Rusty Chicken wire

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bbgunz88, Jul 29, 2014.

1. bbgunz88

bbgunz88 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2014
    Murfreesboro TN
    I have rusty chicken wire in some parts of my coop and the paint is chipping away. I live in Middle TN and am considering repainting it (priming it before) the same color (white). I'm all about purpose and I even considered painting it mirror (yeah..it's real) to hopefully screw with the raptors. Thoughts?

BlueHenDel likes this.
  2. JadedPhoenix

JadedPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    If it is rusty, then it really should be replaced. Chicken wire isn't that strong to start off with and now that it is rusty, it provides zero protection against predators.

BlueHenDel likes this.
  3. RJSorensen

RJSorensen Chicken George

Yes, chicken wire is a misnomer if ever there was one. It 'might' keep a chicken in, but will keep nothing out, and that is with shiny brand new wire. You would be well served to replace as much as you can with hardware cloth, the half inch size being the preferred material. You can check round BYC to see what others think, but most folks who wish to 'keep' their chickens put up a better defense against intrusion.

Best to you and your project,

RJ

BlueHenDel likes this.
  4. bbgunz88

bbgunz88 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2014
    Murfreesboro TN
    I'm just trying to salvage my chicken coop without dumping hundreds into it.

BlueHenDel likes this.
  5. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    If you plan to use chicken wire you can save more by not getting chickens! It really is useless. You can read on the predator thread here and see the results from trusting chicken wire.

BlueHenDel likes this.
  6. JadedPhoenix

JadedPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    Yep. My dog went through it in less than 20 seconds. Which would you rather do, go cheap now and spend twice as much later on or go ahead and do it right, now?

BlueHenDel likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by