Rusty Waterer

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chxncarrots, Feb 17, 2008.

1. chxncarrots

chxncarrots Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2007
    NH
    The inside of my galvanized 5 gallon waterer has started to rust. Should I be concerned? Is there any way to remedy this problem? Thanx!! Rusty and cold in NH!!

2. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    Try scrubbing it out with fine grade steel wool.

3. Dana

Dana Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Scrubbing with steel wool will only make it rust more, as you will be removing the zinc coating and creating more surface area.

You probably need a new waterer. Is your's old?

4. chxncarrots

chxncarrots Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2007
    NH
    No, it's brand new, but, I was using cider vinegar in the water until I seen the rust starting. Actually the steel wool did help with the existing rust. Just wondering if there is any preventitive measures I could take to keep it in check. Sorry for the delay in answering back, but as you know it hasn't stopped snowing here since my last post!!
    Thanks

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Might want to see if you can get a metal coating of some sort on there to re galvanize it. The AV is probably what ate through the zinc and the steel wool will just make more rust occur later. Plastic waterers are good to have on hand in case you need to medicate or use AV. Good luck!

6. ChickenWing

ChickenWing Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    Michigan
    You can try waxing it, with beeswax or parafin wax. Should keep it from rusting, and won't be effected much by the water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by