RUT ROH! Jethro is a she, isn't he?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by gritsar, Aug 1, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    No pics yet.
    I have two 7-1/2 week old silkies, Jethro and Ellie Mae. From day one I've been convinced that Jethro is the cockerel and Ellie Mae is the pullet.
    I was holding Ellie Mae yesterday and I noticed that she/he has mulberry colored (I don't know the proper name but should) "earlobes" starting to show. Jethro doesn't have even a hint of earlobes, wattles, comb showing on his head. Added to this is the fact that when the chicks are out running around Jethro follows my turken cockerel everywhere while Ellie Mae generally avoids the turken.
    I have them backwards, don't I? Ellie Mae is my cockerel and Jethro is my pullet?
    Regardless, the names stay. We're already used to them.

2. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Songster

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    With silkies I don't think you can absolutely positively know until one lays an egg or the other crows!

3. Quote:+4

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I know that's what they say, but I like to observe the chicks mannerisms and behavior and make a guess. I think the biggest clue is that Ellie Mae avoids the cockerel of the bunch, my turken. All the other chicks (all pullets) follow him everywhere and take their cues from him. Ellie Mae prefers the company of one of my cornish X chicks (a pullet), which is a funny sight considering the CX is about five times his/her size.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by