?'s about clipping pullet vs. hen wings

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Buttercup1979, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Buttercup1979

Buttercup1979 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    I have four 25 week old chickiebabies! I clipped one wing on each and they are still able to fly over the fence. They are two BO's and two australorps. Are they still able to fly over the fence because they are not full grown? Or is it possible that I didn't clip enough off? Should I clip both wings? The neighbors are nice but I don't feel comfortable leaving them free range when I'm not out there with them. I don't want them hopping over and the playful neighbor dog accidentally killing them. Please advise!

2. Darklingstorm

Darklingstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    size does matter, when they are young they can still "fly/hop" over a fence but once they get large, they will be too big to get that high.
    I know this from experience with both breeds. My orp got out twice but thankfully she grew up fast enough to keep her grounded. My Aussie wasn't as eager to get out but would fly up onto the top of our outside table, then she too got to heavy to jump up that high. She started using a chair first then got on the table.
    I only clip one wing. People have said that clipping both will give them back balance and able them to fly easier. I definitely wouldn't let them free range alone till they are grounded. Especially if you live near others and their dogs.

3. Buttercup1979

Jan 12, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Good! That is such a relief to me! So about how old until they are full weight?

4. Darklingstorm

Darklingstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    Shouldn't be long now, they will start to "widen" out and put an end to most flying.
    How tall is your fence?

5. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Breed matters and what Darklingstorm said is exactly right. With your breeds. My Orps are the same way; no matter what I do, they can get their silly rear ends out of the yard when young but let them get to size around 4-5 months old and you don't see them bothering to get out any more. My fence is only 4 feet tall, too. What tickles me is that they can and do get up on a 4 foot something *in* the yard, but don't realize they can still get out of the yard.

I had a polish pullet that flew that 4 foot fence to get out. This was against an 8 foot fence. Then she could NOT figure out how to fly back over the 4 foot one, so like the smart girl she was, flew up to the top of the EIGHT FOOT FENCE, walked over, and hopped back down into the yard. :eek:

6. Buttercup1979

Jan 12, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Well they're already at the four or five month mark, but maybe three out of the four aren't full grown yet. My biggest chicken, to whom we affectionately call fluff-butt, is the only one that hasn't ventured onto the fence.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by