?'s about dubbing

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hencrazy, Jan 20, 2011.

1. hencrazy

hencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    I was hoping to get several types of leghorns but I am worried about their combs freezing. I noticed that several hatcheries offer dubbing. I am assuming this is a painful process. How do they do this on such little chicks who barely have combs? Do you guys think it's inhumane? If so I will just get some brown rosecombs. I just thought a variety would be kind of interesting.

Thanks [​IMG]

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Yes, I think dubbing is cruel. Dubbing is necessary in cock-fights (which are horribly cruel and illegal in most places) so the combs and wattles don't get sliced during the fights and the birds bleed so much.

3. hencrazy

Mar 5, 2009
    Kind of what I was thinking, but I thought I would ask anyway. Oh well, no exchequer leghorns for me. [​IMG]

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Dubbing is not "cruel" per say, just as long as it is done right. On a chick, YES, that is cruel and completely unnecessary. Leghorns don't really need it though. What you can do is choose a breed with a pea comb or rose comb though - They're frost tolerant.

Dubbing is not just done for cockfighting, it is done for prevention of frostbite and showing, too. It is usually recommended, but not required, to dub any American Gamefowl or European Gamefowl.

5. hencrazy

Mar 5, 2009
    Are there any other colors other than brown that have rosecombs? I wanted to get buffs and exchequer, but can only find them with single combs.

6. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    Most of my birds are dubbed...doubt you could find anyone that knows me to call me a cruel person

It is a viable option for several reasons...prevents and treats frostbite, stops pecking by other birds, and is part of the standard for several breeds

How you would do it on a chick is beyond me cuz there isn't enough to cut but who knows

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by