?s about muscovy ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cat1994, Feb 1, 2011.

1. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    Hi, I have noticed how popular muscovies are. They seem to be a very good duck breed, and I here that the hens are very good broodies. Thats what I want, two muscovy hens to brood my Call duck eggs. But I wanted to know if they are pretty easy to tame? I don't want a duck that goes crazy every time I walk in the pen (I had a Mallard that did this). I would also like to know if I could have her brood chicken eggs also?

2. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    For me they are very tame!I hatched out one of mine named nibbles and now I can pet him and he lets me pick him up.The other one named jym I got as an adult with another female and both got very tame in a couple of months of feeding them.Sadly nibbles mate and jym's mate got taken by dogs.But I am absolutely going to get a couple more females given the chance.They are a great duck overall and I doubt they would have problems hatching out chicken eggs.

3. Widget

Widget Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Limington, Maine
    I have six. Three I ended up with since the people who had them found out that while they could have chickens they couldn't have ducks. The other three I bought from Country Hatchery. None of them are overly flighty. They don't come running up to me but they also don't run away in a panic.

4. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

If you raise them yourself they will be VERY tame, i can step over some of mine and they could care less about the dogs. I had a hen that went broody on 33bantam cochin eggs and everyone of them hatched. I did have to take them away though because i only had 3 chicken hens at the time.... she was hoarding the eggs [​IMG]

Also, if i didn't stay on top of the hatching i would find an accidentally mushed baby...this happened a couple times. The ducks feet are just so big and banties are so teeny [​IMG] I never had problems with their ducklings though.

5. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    thanks [​IMG] I really think I am getting aleast two hens to brood my chicks and ducklings

6. Caprice_Acres

Caprice_Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Michigan
    If it's one thing muscovies can do, it's hatch a clutch. Just realize they come from a cold climate, so they may need help raising those babies in colder weather, as they lack the strong instinct to brood. Not because they are bad mothers, just that they didn't evolve in cold climates and don't realize they need to do that. That being said, I haven't ever lost a duckling to cold, and I had a late fall hatch once that I was worried about.

My muscovies are very calm. Much calmer than my Welsh Harlequins, which are SUPPOSED to be a 'calm' duck breed - yeah right [​IMG] My 'scovies are calm enough that they are often underfoot, LOL. I also have an imprinted duck who is now a very large drake who nibbles on anyone and anything he can in a sad attempt to 'groom' people... he can't seem to figure out why he can't groom us and decides to attack clothing, tehe.

7. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I don't own any myself, but there is one feral one at the lake that is almost completely tame. He will throw a fit if you grab at him, but otherwise is the nicest duck you'll ever meet. He's lived there his entire life. He had some friends living there with him a long time ago and one or two of them were a little more hissy than he is, but they were still very calm, approachable ducks.

8. MysticalMom

MysticalMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    [​IMG]

Need I say more? [​IMG]

9. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

That's the best pic MysticalMom. I was just out in the coop today visiting everyone and I can pick up almost all of my girls and they'll just sit on my arm and be petted, I have just one that's an old grump [​IMG] .

10. biomistake

biomistake Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Russellville

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by