1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

S.L.Wyandottes/ how many firtal eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by danceinchicken, Dec 1, 2013.

1. danceinchicken

danceinchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2013
    VERMONT
    I am aware that Wyandotte hens only lay aprox. 3 -4 eggs per week, per hen. What I've never known is how many fertal eggs do they lay when having babbies?[​IMG] And do they lay them at once or spaced apart? Are Wyandotte chickens the same as other chickens, or are there a lot of different things I'm going to need to know????I'll be getting mine in the spring.[​IMG] If anyone who has Wyandotte chickens could help me out,it would be so fine!!![​IMG]

2. BorneHomestead

BorneHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2013
    they are no different than other breeds; they lay eggs just like the other breeds do. you will not get fertile eggs unless you have a rooster who fertilizers her eggs. once her eggs are fertile they will remain fertile for 2-3 weeks after mating with a rooster.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

If you're not familiar with chicken reproduction, you should spend some time on the learning center and the threads in the "incubating & hatching eggs" section.

Wyandottes reproduce just like any other breed of chicken.

If the birds you plan to get only lay 3-4 eggs a week, I'd look into some different birds! I have hatchery Wyandottes that lay just as well as any other hatchery breed--Rocks, Welsummers, Easter eggers, etc.

4. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    As a rule hens lay fertile eggs for 5 or 6 days after their last romantic encounter with a rooster. Eggs stored under favorable conditions remain viable for two weeks or more. A hen serious about setting should lay almost daily. A setting of eggs is considered to be 15 eggs. A lay rate of 3 eggs per week means that few of the eggs will hatch (only about 6) if the hen must wait 5 weeks (35 days) to amass 15 eggs.

5. marktoo

marktoo Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 2 SLW & 2 GLW 36 weeks of age,1 of the Goldens is not yet laying. I've been tracking egg totals for the past 5 weeks; 16, 18, 14,14, & 16 for the 3 that are laying. That should give you some idea what to eggspect from the SLW. [​IMG] No rooster so no chicks & no artificial light is used.

6. danceinchicken

danceinchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2013
    VERMONT
    Thanks. I will be ordering mine from Cackle Hatchery, 5 girls and 2 boys. A little worried about the mailing of them[​IMG] My information on Wyandotte chickens have been based on THE BREEDERS ASSOCIATION OF WYANDOTTE. And other findings. No one to talk to around here..I have been doing a lot of reading on this sight and have gotten a lot of info. too. But because I was under the assumption that they oniy laid so many a week, I had to wonder about the babby laying.I do know what I am getting into,about 90%of it right up to even having a vet.if need be?? Its the other 10% that I will only get by asking questions and real life experience. I have only just started to converse on a computer for about a month now so spelling and slang is not a big thing for me [​IMG] So please be gentile, and I'm sure I'll get it. P.S. I was reading something in the Wyandotte section and someone had said that there hens were laying X amount on a daily bases and someone else was saying that it was imposable and wanted proof..I am glad that the person said they didn't need to prove anything to anyone.But did leave me[​IMG] ...

7. marktoo

marktoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC! The great thing about the internet, we have so much info at our fingertips, The bad thing about the internet, we have so much info at our fingertips. Much of this info is contradictory & needs to be taken with a grain of salt. The exception being BYC, everything you read here is absolutely true. [​IMG] Ok perhaps not everything but this is a great site, lots of very experienced, friendly folks who are more than willing to assist newbies such as us. Enjoy!

8. amsirriana

amsirriana New Egg

Jun 14, 2014
    Ok, well I have what some may consider a stupid question. If the eggs do get fertilized, and I am not ready for chicks yet, will putting them in the fridge as soon as they are layed keep them from developing at all and be ok to eat? I do eventually want them to hatch some but just not yet, and I don't know what I was thinking when I order a rooster along with the chicks, but I ended up with 3 and have no way to keep them separate. Other than to eat them, and we may do that with at least one, he is pretty ruff on the girls.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Put your fertile eggs in the fridge, or even on the counter, and you'll never be able to tell they're fertile. Embryos don't start to develop until an egg has been incubated around a hundred degrees for a couple of days.

10. amsirriana

amsirriana New Egg

Jun 14, 2014
    Thanks Donrae, Hey love your dog.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by