S.O.S

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Jaimesweet, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Jaimesweet

Jaimesweet Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2014
    This morning I found one of my roosters attacking the other...blood shed and I've separated them and rehomed the injured party to another location! I'm so sad because I've raised them since birth and I'm afraid he's not gonna make it through the new jersey winter without the others. He will be with another hen.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Provided that he has a clean dry coop and adequate nutrition, he will handle the NJ winters with no problem.

3. Jaimesweet

Jaimesweet Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2014
    thank you !!! I have another question...I have two new additions that are getting all their feathers but they are still young. Do I use a heat lamp for them ? I did last night and today they seem blind. It is the red bulb....they are too hot I think. I turned it off ...just need to know if they will be ok without any heat ?!

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Sorry about your roosters. Sometime when the boys grow up, they can turn on each other.

As for the young ones if they are more than 6 weeks old, you can start to wean them off heat now. They are fully feathered and should be able to handle the cold temps. I would raise the lamp so that it only gives them a small bit of heat. Keep the lamp like this for one week and then remove it all together. If you are going to mix these two into an adult flock or any flock for that matter, you will need to wait until they are at least 3 months or more before you can mix them. For now you can keep them in a cage or small enclosure in the run and coop for the next month. Then in a month or so, you can mix them in. Make sure to put out extra food and water stations so these babies can eat and drink. The older flock members will try to run them off for a while and starve them out.

Enjoy your flock and welcome to ours!

1 person likes this.
  5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC.

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. It appears you have a duplicate thread (I responded on the other one already). As I stated on the other thread, the only reason you really need a rooster is to fertilize eggs for hatching, and 1 rooster can easily handle 10-12 hens in this regard. I currently have 25 hens in my flock and no roosters, and I get loads of eggs without the aggression, fights, biting and feather plucking, crowing in the middle of the night, reduced egg production, over-breeding and battering of hens that typically goes along with having roosters (especially too many). My hens are stress free and enjoying life without a rooster around. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your injured rooster.

1 person likes this.
  7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

1 person likes this.
  8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

1 person likes this.
  9. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG] Nice to have you join us.

1 person likes this.
  10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by