?s On Ee

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Brianm97, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Brianm97

Brianm97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Connecticut
    ALRIGHT I WAS THINKING ABOUT GETTING AN AMERICANAUA (SP I SUCK) FROM A LOCAL FEED STORE IN THE SPRING. I HAVE HEARD THAT THE STORES CAN SOMETIMES "FIB" ABOUT THEM BEING AMERICANUAS WHEN THEY ARE ACTIAULLY EE'S CAN SOMONE TELL ME THE DIFFERENCE AND PICTURES OF BOTH TYPES OF CHICKS. I ALSO WAS CURIOUS ABOUT THE BREEDS BECAUSE I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THEM. I AM NOT SURE IF THIS IS THE CORRECT SPOT TO POST THIS BUT I WILL GIVE IT A TRY. ALSO WHAT ABOUT EGGS AMOUNT, SIZE, COLOR AND OTHER COOL FACTS [​IMG] CAN SOME OF YOU AWESOME GUYS PLEASE TELL ME SOME FACTS THANKS! [​IMG] [​IMG] (EDITED FOR TITLE)

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  2. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    99.99% (probably even 100%) of the "Americaunas"/"Araucanas"/Ameraucanas" sold at feed stores are Easter Eggers. If they're from a hatchery, then they're Easter Eggers.

Easter Eggers are still great birds though! Great layers of blue, green, and brown eggs. And they come in all kinds of beautiful colors! But they are mutts. [​IMG]

3. Brianm97

Aug 17, 2009
    Connecticut
    Its Fine If They Are Mutts They Are Cool But I Heard From Illia I Think They Said That They Can Be Pretty Cruddy Layers

4. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Quote:It really depends on where you get yours from. Each hatchery has their own mix to make their Easter Eggers. Some have excellent layers and some have awful layers. There are individual differences in each hen too.

5. CoffeeCow

CoffeeCow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Washington, NC
    I have 5 ee hens, they are very friendly, and lay large blue (x3) green (x1) and brown (x1) eggs. they lay about 5-6 eggs per week each.
    so the myth about them not laying is untrue. although, they do slow down in the winter a bit, but pick back up when the weather warms.

also, americaunas (sp?) lay smaller eggs most of the time.

personally, I would go for the ee's over the others [​IMG]

Edit:
    to the post above,
    I got my ee's from MPC, maybe they are just better "quality" birds?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  6. Brianm97

Aug 17, 2009
    Connecticut
    Do You Know A General Amount That Is Like Average

7. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    My 2 EEs have been my best layers - better than my orpingtons, wyandottes, rocks, etc...(none of which I have anymore, but still have my EEs). One lays a pinkish egg with white speckles on it, and the other lays brown - both lay extra large eggs. Most EEs will have beards and muffs (though not all) and come in some really gorgeous colors - if you're just looking for layers that will give you pretty eggs - go for the EEs!! [​IMG]

As far as the chicks go, EE chicks will usually be chipmunk striped, and many times EEs have green (willow) colored legs, while true Ameraucanas have slate or black legs. I don't have my EE chick pics uploaded here anymore or I would show you, but you can do a search under google images and come up with something, I'm sure. [​IMG]

8. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    my EE came from MPC and one is moulting now, but the other is still laying. they are both good egg layers of large light green eggs. and very quiet, sweet, and friendly.

9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    My EE's came from Ideal and probably averaged 4-5 eggs a week each, when I was getting 11 or 12 eggs a day. I'm now getting about 3 a day and the
    EE's have not layed in a couple of months. One is molting but there is no sign the other two are. Two lay blue and one lays a light tan.

Here are breeds and how well they lay, along with other info on the breeds:

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

My feed store calls them Ameraucanas, too, because that's what the hatchery calls them.

10. Brianm97

Aug 17, 2009
    Connecticut
    Thanks For All The Quick Responses You Guys Ill Have To Find Out Where They Get The Chicks From I Know They Breed And Hatch Some Of Their Eggs But Im Not Sure On The Amount

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by