?'s regarding roost

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by karen71, Apr 17, 2009.

1. karen71

karen71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Bear, DE
    just wondering - I want to make more roost in the coop we bought from someone who was moving-
    I was thinking of making the ladder type
    I've seen them made out of branches and out of bought wood

in anyones opion what is best for the bird?

I have lots and lots of branches but if it is not the best I will do the bought wood option .

Just wondering [​IMG]

thanks in advance for your opinions [​IMG]

2. bluie

bluie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Many people think that a 2" x 4" is the best roost (flat side) because the chickens can cover their entire feet when they roost in the winter, avoiding frostbitten toes. I think as long as you use large diameter (at least 2") branches they would be all right too. How cold does it get in the winter in Delaware? Recycling those branches would be a good thing.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    In Delaware (U of D alumna here [​IMG]) you don't *need* wide roosts, really, but it still wouldn't hurt to have them. So if you're building new roosts, personally I'd use the 4" side of a 2x4, or a 4"+ diameter treebranch. You will prolly be fine even if you don't, though.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

4. karen71

karen71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Bear, DE
    thank you
    I will see how big of branches I can find if not big enough I will get the 2 x 4 's

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by