s this normal for a barred Rock roo

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sheila3935, Oct 26, 2010.

1. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    quick question, I have 2 barred rock roos 17 weeks old. One is just black and white very light color. Lindy has green in his tail feathers and some gold coming into his hackle feathers. Is this typical of barred rocks and maybe Penguin is not as old as I supect. His tail feathers are not quite as long as Lindys and he has alwys been smaller. Also Lindy is darker than Penguin. Penguin looks like pictures of barred rock roos, but Lindy is darker with the green tail feathers and gold in the hackles. Also Lindy has always had gray wash down the front of his legs. So is Lindy a mix and Penguin a pure

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Pictures would help. Hard to say.

3. sheila3935

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Ill get some tomorrow as I dont have any recent pics. Ill get both of the roos so you can see what I am talking about.

4. sheila3935

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    ok here is his tail feathers the gold didnt show up in pic of hackles will try later
    [​IMG]

This is him he moves alot so sorry for the blur
    [​IMG]
    and this is penguin he doesnt have any green on his tail feathers or gold on the hackles he looks more like pictures of BR roosters
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  5. sheila3935

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    any ideas?

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Could be that the first one is a black sexlink rooster, not a pure BR. That is common in sexlink roosters, the green feathers and gold or extra white hackles.

7. rnorris1234

rnorris1234 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    Fort Payne, AL
    I had one like that. Turned out to be a black sex-link roo. Very pretty and calm, but not a Barred Rock. He was much more black with white stripes. He had the green shine to the tail feathers and had a good bit of gold in the hackles. Sex-link ---That would be my guess.

8. ChurkLover

ChurkLover Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2010
    St. Louis
    Penguin looks just like my Barred Rock Roo. I'd say he's a definite. I've never seen a BR Roo with the green and gold...I'm interested to find out what that is. Good luck!

9. BekahBear

BekahBear Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2010
    Arizona
    Quote:That was my guess. I think the 1st roo is a black sexlink. The 2nd roo looks like a BR

10. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    It is possible for a Barred Rock rooster to have dark barring like that, that is called Heterozygous Barring. Most Barred Rock roosters are Homozygous Barred like Penquin and that makes them much lighter and easier to sex and tell apart from the darker hens. But once in a blue moon a Het can pop up, or if they are crossed they they usually always Hets.

BUT with the green feathers and the gold leakage, I am also going to agree with the others and say that he is a sexlink for some other barred crossed roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by