?'s

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by packmomma, Sep 23, 2011.

1. packmomma

packmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Argos, IN
    Whats the highest temperature eggs can go to before they kill the embryo?
    How long till the eggs would start to stink and all that gross stuff?
    When should I mark the air sac during candling?

2. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

i think over 102 degrees will kill them, dnt know about anything else tho

3. shelby528

shelby528 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Ontario
    Quote:umm yeah id say 102 as well...the eggs shouldnt really stink unless there rotten and if they are..watch out they dont explode in the bator..nasty mess to clean up. I never mark my air sacs...I just take any ones with no movement/not fertile out of the bator asap.

4. grammanenan

grammanenan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    I've had spikes of 102 that didn't kill the egg as long as it is caught in time - don't throw away too quickly...

5. packmomma

packmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Argos, IN
    Well it wasnt warm enough because the house was a bit colder so I turned it a hair..really a hair and it went to 102 but I turned it down immediately and opened it to cool them. It wasnt 102 for more than a half hour before I caught it. NOt sure how long it actually was that because it takes a bit to warm up to the temp its set to anyway. I try to watch it often like every hour during the day. Normally it has been staying 99 or 100 with fluctuations from 99.0 to 100.5. I'm trying to keep the humidity at 45-50 right now because I have a few porous eggs. That is why I asked about the air sacs. It looked like maybe a couple were no good but I will candle again at day 10 because i have mostly brown eggs and they are pretty dark. I dont want them to explode which is why I asked. I wont throw any away unless I know for sure they are bad. Even if they dont hatch it would be nice to know why. I've set 13 and I hope for 5 or 6. Fairly new rooster with lots of hens so hopefully the ratio will be better than I hope but who can tell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by