Sac City Chicken Yard

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SacCityChickens, Apr 10, 2012.

1. SacCityChickens

SacCityChickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2012
    Sacramento Ca
    It recently became legal to have chickens here in Sacramento, Ca. My wife & I decided it would be nice to have a couple of laying hens. Even though we live in the city, we don't live far from the American river. I have seen racoons & possums a few times, & of course dogs. I have a 7' solid wood fence w/lattice top, all around the place. We have a small yard next to our garage about 12'x20' that I turned into our chicken yard by adding two 6' chain link gates. We had about a $300 budget for a coop when found this 4'x8' one on craigslist for $350. A local guy builds them out of recycled lumber. Uses hardware wire all around. Came complete with 2 nest boxes & roost poles. Fit right into the back of my pick-up truck. I bought a couple of hens from the guy's wife while I was there,it was just 'plug-n-play'! We just took long enough to burry hardware wire all around the outside. They get locked inside the coop at night & let out into their yard in the morning. We let them free range our whole back yard in the afternoons. There are grapes growing along the lattice at the top of the fence, it covers the fence each summer. I'm gonna let the grape vines cover their coop for shade.
    Rosie(RIR) & Roxy(BR), our 2 girls are adjusting well to city life & we are getting 1 beautiful brown egg a day from each.
    Gotta love craigslist!
    Here's our SacCityChicken yard

SCC
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    That is a very nice coop and run you have there! Isn't having a couple of hens great? I started with 2 hens too, then added 6 more. We now get from 5 to 8 eggs a day. we eat a lot of omlettes for supper! [​IMG] Plus, we keep family and friends supplied. We love our girls in our backyard! Your girls look like happy hens! Congrats on a great find for your coop and hens [​IMG]

3. SacCityChickens

SacCityChickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2012
    Sacramento Ca
    Thanks, yes they are great!
    I didn't think I could buy all the materials & buld it myself for $350. And I know I couldn't do it in one day!
    This was literally full of chickens a couple of hrs after we unloaded it. We only took long enough to burry hardware wire all around the outside of the coop & hang a waterer & feeder.
    The convience & speed alone was worth it. We got our first egg the next day!
    The nestbox & roost ladder are removable for easy cleaning
    This is a very simple yet efficient design. 6' tall so I can walk inside.
    The day before I picked-up the coop I hauled it 2yds of DG (decomposed granite) as a base, stuff sets up like concrete. You can sweep it with a broom.
    SCC
    P.S. Roxy won't use her nest box, she made a nest in the corner of the hen house.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  4. HippieChick76

HippieChick76 Blossom Backyard Farm

Apr 5, 2012
    Missouri
    I like the coop! I know I couldn't build that in a weekend, let alone one day, lol! I was pricing the materials to build a coop and I have decided it won't cost much more just to have it built for me. It will save me the time and headache of trying to build it on my own. I don't have a good skill set when it comes to carpentry, lol!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by