Saco, ME - Exotic goose appears to be somebody's lost pet - please help!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by DollDoctor, Apr 9, 2012.

1. DollDoctor

DollDoctor Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2008
    York County, Maine
    Last Friday I saw an unusual goose or gander hanging out at Camp Ellis, ME (part of Saco) next to the pier where the Saco River meets the Atlantic Ocean. Today (Monday), it was still there, in the same exact spot, just sitting in the water. I don't know anything about geese, but it's clearly not a Canadian, which are the only wild kind around here. It's a beautiful light brown and white bird with an orange bill. I am very worried that this is someone's pet that has gotten loose, and now doesn't know what to do or where to go. I am worried that it will starve to death. The water is salty there.

Please help - if you know who's bird this might be, please alert them. If you know of other message boards about geese, please repost this. Or if you live nearby and can help this bird, please do so. I have no experience with geese and don't have a place to keep one.

Thank you!

2. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

It could be lost, but my first thought would be someone dumped it. I'd look into rescues in your area. If it's a park, call parks department. Any local zoos? You may find someone there that would know who to contact. Call avian vets, if they can't help you ask them if they know anyone who could help. Anytime someone won't help always follow up with, "Do you know of anyone who may be able to."

3. DollDoctor

Sep 5, 2008
    York County, Maine
    Thanks for your reply.
    Yes, after I posted it occurred to me that someone may have abandoned it there, thinking it could "fend for itself."
    I'm concerned that it may not even be able to fly. Do pet geese usually have their wings clipped? And can they drink salt water?
    I have emailed the town animal control officer asking for help or a point in the right direction.

4. DollDoctor

Sep 5, 2008
    York County, Maine
    Update: I have contacted the Majestic Waterfowl Sanctuary in CT and the director has kindly replied with some advice. I'm going to go down this evening and, if the goose is still there and still alive, try to lure it out of the water with some food, and try to catch it. I will bring it home for a day or two until I can find it a more suitable home (no water here). Wish me luck!

5. Oh, I hope you were able to get it. Sounds like it could be a Buff American or cross or something . . . poor lost goosy . . .

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Good for you hope it all works out. the only water it would need is a bucket deep enough to wash it's face and a kiddie pool for bathing. Let us know how it goes.. Bring along some soft w/w bread because my goose loves bread, It's not the optimune diet but may help get it on to dry land.

7. DollDoctor

Sep 5, 2008
    York County, Maine
    A happy ending!
    Turns out the goose is not lost or abandoned after all. The owner, who lives up the river, showed up as my friend and I were trying to figure out what to do. He said the goose, whose name is Bert, goes a little crazy every year at mating time since his mate died. Every year he comes down to the pier and hangs out with one of the mooring floats. When the hormones calm down again he goes back home. But while he is there they come down and feed him every night and check on him. I'm very glad he didn't need rescuing after all!

8. poultry09

poultry09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2011
    Rainier, Oregon
    [​IMG]so happy to hear he is not dumped or a stray [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by