Sacramento Scofflaws Take Note!

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by The Sheriff, Oct 5, 2010.

1. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
  2. linben

linben Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Nice article. I wish Sacramento luck!

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Warden, you beat me to it!

As always in these Backyard Chickens issues, the comments by readers are "interesting."

4. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for posting!!

I read the comments and am often frustrated. Sure, chickens aren't perfect for every situation or every person, but most of the time when I see negative posts about raising chickens it is because:

1) The person has absolutely no experience with backyard chickens and is typing out of ignorance
    2) They have experience with chickens, but usually from a time where grandma kept 100 in a small coop and didn't care for them as "pets".

Every time I get the chance I ask them if they have visited the home of someone who properly cares for their chickens and provides adequate space for them. I try to encourage them to take a half hour and visit a good BYCer's home that has 5 - 15 backyard chickens (hens) and discover that they are much more quiet and less smelly / nuisance than the neighbor that has 3 dogs in their backyard.

IMO, if people are allowed to keep large dogs in their backyards then they should be allowed to properly raise backyard chickens.

5. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Quote:[​IMG] x2

6. hvl25

hvl25 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    Quote:I agree. Everytime someone finds out I have chickens they either tell me they would never have them because they smell or they ask if they stink yet:(

7. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    [​IMG] Ugh yes but the dang city council pushed it back UNTIL NOVEMBER now! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by