Sacrificial chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Usbaldings, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Usbaldings

Usbaldings New Egg

Jan 12, 2012
    I am completely new to chicken keeping. Got them yesterday. I have been reading books and mags for months and getting prepared but now I have them and I feel totally unprepared. After worrying they aren't eating I am now worried that my swish house I've bought for them is no good because they are all framing themselves into the nesting boxes and not sitting on the nice little perches. Can I block off the nest boxes at night or will they explode with un-laid eggs. Is this just coz they are unsettled? Should I raise the perches some how and send a snotty email to the supplier telling them there house are not Made correctly. It is one with a nest box on the side. Please advise.

2. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    How old are your chickens? If they aren't laying eggs yet they shouldn't be able to get in the nesting boxes. And WELCOME!!

3. Usbaldings

Usbaldings New Egg

Jan 12, 2012
    Oh really! They are point of lay. The chap from the suppliers said they should begin laying in 3 weeks, so I had better block off the nest boxes?

4. Usbaldings

Usbaldings New Egg

Jan 12, 2012
    Thanks for welcome and advice.

5. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    If they are point of lay they should have access to the nest boxes during the day. Block them before roosting time and unblock them in the morning. If the perches are lower then the nest boxes move them higher then the boxes if you can. They like to roost high.

6. Usbaldings

Usbaldings New Egg

Jan 12, 2012
    Thank you very much for you advice. We will do that.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If the roosts are lower than the nest boxes, raise them. Chickens generally like to roost at the highest point possible. If you block off the nest boxes, your chickens will not 'explode'. [​IMG] They will simply find another spot to lay.

8. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Exactly. I would block off the nest till I knew they were laying. My roost are at three different levels. The older one go to the top roost. The younger one get on the second one. They aren't allowed on the top yet. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by