1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sad and confused

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crazy4eggz, Oct 18, 2015.

1. crazy4eggz

crazy4eggz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2014
    We've been raising chickens for a little more than a year now. We have some hens that are a little over a year and some that were hatched this past April. I went on vacation for a week and the girls were laying fine, I get back and now out of 20 laying hens only 2-3 eggs a day. I can tell some of the ladies are molting, no worries right? So late last night I have the husband adding new roosts for the girls in the coop. I helped, the ladies and the rooster were fine. This morning I go out and find my girls favorite hen dead by the feeder. No marks, nothing that gives me a hint as to what happened! We live in Minnesota and the coop is insulated, it wasn't even down to freezing so I know that isn't the problem. They have plenty of food and water, with a huge enclosed run (no predators)

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Sorry, sometimes chickens die for no apparent reason, it happens quite often, just as much as actual diseases, your other older girls will stop laying for a bit to molt and recover, laying taxes the body and can be depleting. Sorry again.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. beginnergirl

beginnergirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2015
    Pacific Nortwest
    Sorry you lost your girl's favorite hen. I once paid for a necropsy on a young dog. It was expensive but gave me answers and some peace of mind not to be second guessing the cause. I imagine no one does this for chickens because of the cost.

1 person likes this.
  4. 45ishChickenMom

45ishChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2015
    Sorry for your loss, crazy4eggz. I'm in Wisconsin, and our hens are 5 months old, but we are all very, very attached. I think it would be devastating to lose one, especially when there are no symptoms.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. crazy4eggz

crazy4eggz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2014
    It was a very terrible moment, I hope I never have to relive again. I want to know what happened but how much was the necropsy

1 person likes this.
  6. beginnergirl

beginnergirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2015
    Pacific Nortwest

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by