Sad Animal Commercials

Stacykins

Crowing
9 Years
Jan 19, 2011
Escanaba, MI
You know those ASPCA commercials that show pictures of abandoned, abused, and sad dogs and cats? I know they're meant to tug at the heartstrings and get people to donate, but when I see them, I always have an overwhelming need to change the channel because make me feel miserable! Does this happen to anyone else?

I'm not against the plight of animals in need. All the family dogs (I am currently dogless, *gasp*) are always rescues from the local shelter, and in the past I've volunteered at shelters. We've adopted ones who were not very adoptable either (no puppies). Like Emma, a terrified three year old lab who growled at anyone who approached her cage but was really a loving, sweet dog just eager to please. She was going to be euthed because of her behavior. Or Ben, a six year old black rottie/dalmatian mix (the DNA test surprised us too, we could see the rottie in his head shape, but thought he was a lab mix!). These dogs don't scream ADOPT ME to the general public, and all our adoptees were at the end of their lifelines at the shelters. My lovely meezer mutt kitty cat is also a rescue.

But I just hate those commercials. Do you think they work, which is why they stay on the air? I mean, I hope so, there are too many animals in shelters and they need help. But that doesn't tackle the real root of the problem with pet overpopulation.

I personally view them as scare tactics. They are used to make people feel guilty for other people's mistakes. I am well aware that there are many issues in the pet community but I believe there has got to be more than one way to reach people. Maybe a commercial could actually show possible solutions to the problem rather than depressing imagery. If more people knew what the actual issues were then I believe that would be more likely to be addressed.

Yes I hate them as well!

Can't adopt them as well because we don't have the critieria they want us to have in a 'dream' home. So we ended up getting our cats from the breeders and spay them (my first cat had a litter of kittens...NO MORE! Too much work!) Every animal we had, we did them a favor and ourselves, to neuter and spay them.

Oh I can't stand them. I have to look away or leave the room. I have rescued many animals in the past, but am just not in a position to do so right now.

Last thing I want to look at is a pair of soulful, starving eyes on a dog that I can do absolutely NOTHING to help.
hmm.png

If you want to donate to help animals go give the money to the people helping animals. Go donate to a actual shelter. Don't give your money to a big national somebody so they can spend it to collect more of your money.

Some of these national somebody may put up to 75% to what they claim to do. Most spend less than 1% on what you think an the rest goes elsewhere.

HSUS 2009 budget:
$121,725,153​
All HSUS outgoing grants:
6,744,923​
HSUS grants to hands-on pet shelters:
977,296​

Last edited:
If you want to donate to help animals go give the money to the people helping animals. Go donate to a actual shelter. Don't give your money to a big national somebody so they can spend it to collect more of your money.

Some of these national somebody may put up to 75% to what they claim to do. Most spend less than 1% on what you think an the rest goes elsewhere.

HSUS 2009 budget:
$121,725,153​
6,744,923​
977,296​

Absolutely! Local animal shelters benefit more than HSUS, which is PETA in disguise. I think the ASPCA has better values, but still spend money not on the animals.

They made me sad at first, but now I'm numb by them. I agree with Rebelcowboysnb, give to your local rescue agencies or agencies that you know will do something with the money.

th.gif

HSUS 2009 budget:
$121,725,153​
6,744,923​
977,296​

Back
Top Bottom