1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sad Christmas morning :(

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by kellieg1, Dec 27, 2011.

1. kellieg1

kellieg1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Marthasville
    I was getting ready to wash the breakfast dishes and noticed my dog chewing on something. I looked and thought, oh no a rabbit, because a thought I was seeing white fur. I went outside to find out it was my rooster. [​IMG] [​IMG] I have never had any of them fly over the 6 ft chain link fence before. I'm just sooo mad and sad.
    I just found out a couple weeks ago what kind he was. (from the BYC folks on here)
    I'm not having very good luck with roosters this year! [​IMG]

Mother-in-law shows up and hubby tells her what happened. (I was getting ready.) She asked where he was, she says you can't waste good meat like that. So they went down stairs to take care of him. That really bummed me out but, I completely understand. So, I lost both of my silver laces this year. What is so sad is he turned 9 months on christmas.
    Thanks for listening.

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    That's heart breaking. I'm so sorry to hear what happened. [​IMG]

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I'm sorry.

Imp

4. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    put some kind of netting over the fence. hopefully the next one wont fly out ! Im sorry for your loss.[​IMG]

5. kellieg1

kellieg1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Marthasville
    Quote:Thanks guys.
    The chickens free range during the day.

6. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    That's horrible I'm so sorry! [​IMG] what a terrible Christmas!

7. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Really sorry you lost your roo!

I lost my lovely New Hampshire hen last year she broke her neck somehow in the roost. I can understand about the not letting the meat go to waste. I looked at my girl and I cried so much when I saw her. I brought her in and layed her on the dog bed. But there was no life. She was a big fat beautiful hen and I thought what a waste if I just threw her out in the bin. So I let her be what she was meant to be and I processed her and did the best I could do for her. She made a lovely roast chicken dinner. I know that is hard but for me to let her get eaten up by a bunch of maggots thrown out like a bit of rubish was far worse and didn;t do any justice to my beautiful hen. I totaly understand how that feels so much!!!! I really do think you should get some chicken net for the top of the run. My girls were forever getting up on the roof of the pen and onto the conservatory so they could find the study window and peck on the glass for my attention! Now we have net up and they can't get out - but they still free range in the daytime. Maybe you could make sure the dog is in the house or tied up when the chickens are in the yard???????

Oesdog [​IMG] The only fix for this is GO GET ANOTHER ROO!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  8. Ibicella

Ibicella Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2009
    Everett, WA
    A 6 ft fence? That's quite a leap! I wouldn't have thought about that either. What rotten luck for both you and your roo. [​IMG]

At least he'll be taking care of his family one last time in the form of nourishment for you all. Best of luck to you in the next year for roosters!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by