sad dad needs diagnosis for beloved Rhoda

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by urbanfred, Jan 10, 2010.

1. urbanfred

urbanfred Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2007
    Portland
    Rhoda, my 6 yr. old RIR, is in trouble.
    -She is listless, not moving, not eating or drinking more than a taste.
    -She has white to yellowish, stringy, mucous-like, liquid stool.
    -Her normally large, bright red comb and wattles are shrunken and purplish in color.
    -She sits/lays with her head retracted into her feathers (not under her wing).
    -It is windy here, but not freezing. She is a run-of-the-backyard chicken, along with her twin sister, who is fine.
    -She is through molting and has not laid an egg for over a year.

This is the 4th day of it, and I do not know what to do, as she won't eat even favorite treats or drink enough to go on.
    Can anyone give me a clue what to do?
    Grateful dad....

2. purpledonna

purpledonna Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    Adelaide, AUSTRALIA
    Sorry to hear of your problem...... am new to chicken keeping so I am little help to you other than for a BUMP!

Good luck~

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Have you checked her crop for possible crop impaction? Also, have you checked her for mites or lice?
    Other than that, someone else more knowledgeable than I will be along to help soon, I hope.
    Good luck.

4. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Need to keep her eating and drinking something. Try warm canned dog food, put in her beak if you have too. Childrens liquid vitamins, a few drops in beak and in her water.
    Has she been wormed?
    Has she lost weight?
    Any trouble breathing?

5. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

Bump~just to help you get some new adivice!!

6. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    Bring her inside where it's warm and dry. Chickens that are stressed or ill can die quickly without the additional support of a warm & dry spot, because they stop regulating their body temperature. Put her under a heat lamp, if necessary, to raise the temp to 75-80F. Give her warm water with electrolytes or pedialyte mixed in, dribbled onto her beak with an eyedropper, if necesary. It's urgent to keep her hydrated and encourage her to eat, by offering soft mashed foods like warm scrambled egg with a few drops of a infant vitamins without iron, like PolyViSol.

Check her for lice or mites, and check her poop for worms. Check her crop for impacted or sour crop. A purple comb shows her blood lack oxygen. Her heart may be having trouble.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by