Sad day at our house

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by busdriver9799, May 15, 2011.

1. busdriver9799

busdriver9799 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2010
    Our neighbors cat killed one of our brand new Turkens. Jumped into their pen and took it. We were able to follow the tracks, feathers. This isn't the first time but it's still hard. We feed them, raise them, take care of them and this happens. She told me today at church "Sorry about your chicken" I had no idea what she was talking about. Now I do.

2. dkvart1

dkvart1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    [​IMG] I'm so sorry for your loss.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Not that it will make you feel better about losing a little bird, but did she offer to compensate you??? Can you find a way to cover your pen so the cat can't get others???

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    The cat will return again. Trap the cat and call animal control to come get it. Sorry for your losses.

5. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Aww, so sorry. [​IMG]

Agree it'll come back, but if a cat can get in to them so can many other predators. [​IMG]

6. busdriver9799

busdriver9799 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2010
    We have an enclosed coop and run. Where the cat got them was the outside run area, lots of room for them. We just got a dog a great pyrnees that was a working dog protecting farm animals before. That's what he'll be doing now. We tested him and he doesn't bother the chickens at all. So, that'll work for now. And my neighbor didn't offer to pay for the chicken since we didn't see it happen even though we saw her cat eating the chicken we didn't see it take it. It's the mayors cat and he's in our church so I'm letting it go and just taking more precautions.

7. FeedYourself

FeedYourself Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    Washington State
    Quote:I agree with dawg.

8. fifenashia

fifenashia Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Eastern Kentucky
    I'm so sorry for your loss [​IMG]

We lost 2 hens yesterday to a neighbor's labs. I think the best thing to be done when compensation is not likely is to use it as an opportunity to reinforce existing structures so that we can protect the ones left. Now you know there is a weak point somewhere, you can find it and reinforce it. Less likely it will happen in the future.

Hope this does not happen again for you, it's so hard to lose them! [​IMG]

9. lavenderlakefarm

lavenderlakefarm Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    I've been there and so sorry for your loss.[​IMG]

10. millebantam

millebantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Little Rhody
    If it were me, next Sunday in church I'd be telling her "Sorry about your cat".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by