Sad day at the Frazier Farm....

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by tamberlin, Dec 15, 2010.

1. tamberlin

tamberlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Framingham MA
    I left to go get some shopping done and when I came home, Monty the rescue chicken was making a racket. Since she's our version of a rooster, I knew something was up. Racing around to the coop at the back of the house I immediately saw Monty in the Annex and Luna in the compost bin and a HUGE red tailed hawk balancing on the chicken pen edge! I scared that bugger off and then looked around for the rest of the chickens... Unfortuately, the hawk had killed Seren, our white EE. I couldn't find 2 others. I picked up Luna from the compost bin, she was acting funny, then went to look for the rest. Nefertiti (redhead EE) showed up a few minutes later. I guess she's smarter that I thought, she was hiding in the woods. Monty has clipped wings from her former life, so she couldn't fly the coop, but she did bloody her comb a bit trying to crawl through the wire. I found the last chicken, Nancy, hiding in the nesting box - probably the smartest one of all. Considering that this last one is the consummate escape artist, I was really surprised to find her inside. That was where I'd expect the rest of them to be.

My daughter Lizzie, who raised all these chickens from day old chicks is devestated. Seren was her absolute favorite. She was the queen of the sky blue egg....
    Right now the rest of the girls are living in the garage until we can reinforce the coop.... lots of research being done. Also planning on seeing if we can expand the flock come spring....

good news? Monty laid an egg. We thought she was too old and recovering from a recent illness.

2. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    Sorry you lost your daughters favorite but good to hear the others knew where to go [​IMG]

3. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    So sorry about your EE. It's always our favorites...
    [​IMG]

Shelly

4. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    So sorry about losing your girl. [​IMG]
    I lost one of my favorite little banty hens to a hawk several weeks ago-I DETEST THOSE STUPID THINGS! [​IMG]

5. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Saw a hawk sitting in the yard today ripping feathers off of something. Momentary panic.
    Grabbed the binoculars and it was 'only' a Junco or a Sparrow. He/she must have been hungry. It sat right there and plucked it and ate just yards from the house.

6. Attila the Hen

Attila the Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge GA
    I feel for you and your daughter. It's always hard to lose a beloved pet.

7. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    Quote:hate them all you want but they are alive which means they need to eat. last time i checked eating when your hungry is natural. yes it sucks to lose birds to them but they are just trying to survive winter and when they see a bird, thats a meal and a chicken is a bird so its a hawks target. the hawks arnt trying to make us angry they are just trying to keep fed.

it may sound ridiculus but an owl got my goose the other day. i loved that goose so much but heck that owl BETER be PROUD of that catch im sure that is a heck of a prize!!!

8. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    sorry for your loss i know its hard for a while hope Lizzie gets to feeling better. [​IMG]

9. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    I'm so sorry! That's horrible to go through. We have some enormous hawks in my area, and they are my greatest fear. I don't have enough tree cover to let my chickens forage unsupervised. I'm hoping my avocado and tangerine trees will hurry up and grow! My hens get so mad when I keep them locked in their chicken vault (coop), but they don't get to come out unless they have a person and a pitbull out there with them.

I feel so badly for your daughter. We lost my youngest daughter's favorite hen this past September during an extremely hot day. I think our whole family cried for a week. We still count our little angel "Cheryl" as part of our flock when asked how many chickens we have. Aside from the the cross on the hill where she was buried, this week we planted a rose in our rose garden for her, its aptly named "Angel Face".

I offered to buy my daughter a new chick, which helped, but chicks are like potato chips, you can't have just one. We ended up with 5 babies! [​IMG]

10. tamberlin

tamberlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Framingham MA
    Thank you all for your condolences. She was a beautiful chicken with a really funny personality. It always seems those are the ones that get taken before their time. I know the hawk was hungry. He's tried several times this week but we've been home so were able to respond at the chicken alarm (Monty). I can't begrudge him his need to eat. But geez! I had about 8 squirrels running around the yard at any given time this afternoon!
    I think we will get some more chicks, if I can talk the husband into it. Lizzie wants Sebrights, I want Belgian Quail D'Anvers..... we'll probably get a couple more EEs since they are so nice and friendly. Now I have to be really nice to him since he made the chickens a really nice cozy bed in the garage and even put in a night light.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by