1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sad day at the Post Office

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Foghorn, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Foghorn

Foghorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Connecticut
    Today when I went to work, I heard those familiar peeps. I knew right away someone was getting chicks today! I went to the area we keep them and peeked inside the box. It was an order of 25 or so chicks. However, only 6 were alive. The rest had frozen. I felt horrible. I can't believe that we (the post office) could let this happen. I understand that we really are pushed for time and the truck drivers may not care that much, but you would think we could make exceptions. I couldn't imagine recieving my order this way. [​IMG]

2. hillshouse

hillshouse Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2007
    Kentucky
    That is so sad. I feel so sorry for the people that had to pick up that order. I have been worrying about my order coming in this weather, but I have alittle over a week to go and the temps are on the way up here.(KY) Sometimes I think that some postal workers don't know about baby chicks and their for need warmth. They probably think they are packed to survive anything.
    moni

3. Oh Gosh, that IS sad.
    Did you notice who the hatchery was? I'm shocked any hatchery would be shipping live birds / chicks in this weather.

Lisa
    [​IMG]

4. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Immensely sad. And wrong. Those poor little babies. Good question about which hatchery.

5. Henriettahen

Henriettahen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Canada
    awwww poor birds! I hope the others made it:(

6. Foghorn

Foghorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Connecticut
    It was Murray McMurray Hatchery. But in their defense, it was packaged very well. The usual box, plus a corrugated box wrap inside. I honestly believe it was negligence somewhere along the way in handling. The box was treated gently, just not, in my opinion, kept warm enough.
    By the way, half a dozen more of the same boxes were dropped of at an office prior to this one. I can only hope those chicks experienced a better fate.

7. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

[​IMG]
    Poor chicks and poor person who ordered them.

8. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Too bad, that is a shame. I've heard good stories where the driver would put the peeps up in the cab with him by the heater with toons to listen to. I guess not in this case though.

bigzio

9. Mike_Winters

Mike_Winters Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2007
    Connecticut
    my problem is useally the shipment because some of these people dont know what FRAGILE and LIVE means because i recieved two ducklings with broken spines

10. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    :eek: So sad! Poor little creatures. Their new mom must have been heartbroken to see that.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by