Sad day for Crazy Feathers

crazyfeathers

Songster
6 Years
Aug 24, 2013
Auburndale, Wi
Today I had to put down my Astrolorp due to sickness. She had watery diarrhoea, wouldn't eat or drink and was very lethargic to the point of not being able to walk. I am now down to one astrolorp and it was a breed I really wanted to have. I purchased about 25 pullets from an auction which I know now was my first mistake. Astrolorps, silver laced wynotts, Deuccles and Jaerhons. I lost 3 silver laced wynotts, 4 astrolorps, the only successful breed I purchased are the Jaerhons they are doing wonderful.
I tried to get my sick astrolorp to eat and drink with very little success, it just broke my heart but the other pullets would go up to her and kick her and pick at her making me feel like they were making her suffer more, so I culled her. I did separate her from the flock for a week trying to nurse her back to health but put her back with the pullet flock which was the only place I could plug in a heat lamp for her.
I know that at auctions the birds must be given shots and tested before they can be sold but I wonder why my Jaerhons are doing so well as well as the deuccles but not the SLW or the Astrolorps. None of my older girls are ill so whatever they contracted must not spread. Sometimes it's so disheartening to own chickens. I feed them well, clean their coops daily and give them fresh water a few times a day, as well as electrolytes and meal worms but I still loose some. It's frustrating, cuz like all of you I adore my girls and spend lots of time with them. I plan on adding to my flock come spring time but realize the importance of knowing where the chickens come from, vaccinations, and overall condition, unfortunately I had to learn this the hard way. Monday it is supposed to be 60 below with wind chill here in Wisconsin so tomorrow I will be putting up a heat lamp for the older girls, they can handle cold without heat I know but 60 below is a good call for a heat lamp whether I'm humanizing my girls or not lol.
Thanks for listening I guess I'm just feeling sad about today's event.

Back
Top Bottom