Sad day for me... Unsuccessful shipping...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Shayna, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Shayna

Shayna I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    Well my first time around trying to get into silkies, I bought 2 dozen eggs. They arrived after 4 days in the mail badly beaten up and none hatched.... My loss....

I ended up driving about 4 hours away and getting 5 silkies that I love very much, but two of them are males. I decided I needed to add some more pullets to my flock. Since I've made the (expensive) decision to work with paints, I bought 5 silkie pullets, paint and off-color from paint. I won't even get into how much I spent - more than I really had, but we made it work. They are all over 3 months old and overnight express is suppose to be very successful I thought.
    The high yesterday was 90 degrees where they were shipped from in the south, and here in the midwest it is 60 degrees today. They were in the mail about 22 hours when I picked them up. The box smelled dead. I don't know how that smell could be there so quickly, I'm guessing they sat in the heat for quite a long time before they were shipped. There were 6 sent in 2 small boxes. I'm guessing 3 in a small space in the heat was too much for them? I really have no idea, I don't have any experience with shipping chickens. The seller had sent one extra chicken - that is why there were 6. It was soooo sad to see two beautiful silkies dead.... Even though the other 4 look great, I'm so sad about the ones I couldn't help.
    Not sure what to do, nothing I can do. Haven't heard back from the seller, but I did notify this morning, and send pictures, just because I know there are dishonest people out there. I don't know what I should expect, if anything.
    This has all been very discouraging. I have no faith in having anything mailed. When I couldn't find what I'd wanted locally, I had hoped this would be a really good option.
    The good news is I still have a nice little starter flock, so I'll move forward focusing on them.

Thanks for hearing me vent my thoughts.... Please share if you have any ideas on what went wrong with the 2 deaths. They really looked good, weird as that is, aside from being dead. They were stiff, they definitely died yesterday. I'd like to learn from this.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Broke my heart reading about your troubles.

3. jennh

jennh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] It's so sad to get a box with dead ones in. I'm sorry :eek:[

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I have a lump in my throat. I'm sorry, what a terrible experience. My silkies are laying right now. I can send you 12 eggs or so, and you won't have to pay a thing. I'll even pay shipping. My silkies are no specific color, they all live together. And I had 2 silkie roos living with 1 hen for 2 years before I got more hens. They were fine. Get an incubator. Grow your own.

PM me if you want some eggs.

5. Shayna

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    Thanks for the support, and seminolewind, that is such a kind offer. I still have my original 3 girls and 2 boys, plus the survivors of today's journey. Hopefully, they'll give me some eggs in the coming months. I just wanted to vent my sadness and I wish I knew what went wrong. I don't think I'm ready to try more eggs. If I change my mind soon I'll send you a pm.

Thanks again everyone - this is such a great place to go when things are going good, and not so good.

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I love that silkie in your avatar. Is that a Paint?

7. Shayna

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    Quote:Sure is. She's one from the group I made a good road trip to pick up. Hopefully she gives me some awesome little chicks someday! [​IMG]

8. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    Awww I feel for you. That's so sad. Did you get yours from Louisiana?

9. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    There should be no reason for the birds to die in that short of time period unless there were too many in the box. I just shipped sebastopol geese to Florida yesterday and they made it fine. Of course I shipped two in a swan box and another in an omni box.

The boxes keep the heat in, so it is important not to over fill. How old were the silkies?

10. Shayna

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    Quote:I don't want to say where they came from, because I don't want to create any negativity toward the seller. I don't know if its the sellers fault, I don't know why they died. I just needed to talk about it without pointing fingers.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by