1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sad day for my family

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Amanda0609, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Amanda0609

Amanda0609 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    I remember this day 12 years all to well. The father of my 3 half sisters and half brother was killed at 3:30pm by a drunk driver. He was a junior high art teacher, he was on his way home from work. He was stopped to make a left hand turn into his driveway. A very drunk man smashed into the back of his little Jeep. There were no skid marks, the man didn't even try to stop or slow down. The crash caused his Jeep to flip over and the impact broke his back, I don't believe he made it to the hospital before he was gone. This day always hits me hard. He wasn't my father but he was always very kind to me and welcomed me into his life. It was wrong that he died that day. My sister had just had her first child 12 days before. He was getting ready to go see his newest grand daughter. His children and grandchildren were the world to him. He never got to see her, or the other grand kids that followed. He was one of the kindest people I have ever known. His students all loved him and he also was in the National Guard for close to 20 years. The man that killed him spent a very short amount of time in jail, he was in poor health from years of drinking and was allowed out of jail to live out his days with his family. We never got to say good bye. I hate this day, I hate that I remember it for this reason. With the holidays coming up its a good time for everyone to remember that you should never drive drunk. No one should have to go through this when this type of accident is 100% avoidable.

2. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    [​IMG] I am so sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

3. S*T*A*R

S*T*A*R Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2010
    I am so very sorry for you and your family's loss....... [​IMG]

4. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    i am so sorry of your loss. [​IMG]

5. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    I am so sorry to hear of your pain. It seems that the innocent are always the ones to suffer from the actions of the addicts.

6. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I am so sorry for the loss of a fine man. We lost our next door neighbor 4 years ago to a meth addict. Shane was a Forest Service police officer. He left a devastated widow and 2 little boys that needed him. I get so mad that the guy only got 5 years in jail, for killing a cop. I think that drunk drivers that kill should be treated like premeditated murders. Because if you choose to drive drunk you have decided that you are willing to kill anyone at random. I still cry when I drive past the place where Shane died. His family needed him. I wish that the addict had at least died also.

7. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:[​IMG] Only make that intoxicated drivers, as in under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

Amanda, that is such as sad story. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  8. dkvart1

dkvart1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    So sorry for your loss. I agree that people who choose to drive under the influence need to be held responsible for the pain and suffering they inflict upon innocent people.

9. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    I am so sorry for you and your families loss! It sounds as though he lived his life in a way that left a legacy of loved ones! Nice to be remembered as such a great man! Too bad someones dumb choices caused it to end to soon! I know the Holidays are hard. I hope you can find a special way to remember him! [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Amanda0609

Amanda0609 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Thanks everyone. I just needed to talk about it. No one in the family likes to discuss it still. After 12 years it still hurts to much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by