1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sad day for 'Peep'

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by feldon, Aug 20, 2007.

1. feldon

feldon Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2007
    Everson WA
    [​IMG] I am so sad to tell you that my little 'Peep' came to a sad end. Today I let 'Peep' who was a 3 week old Welsummer, go out with his mama free ranging with the rest of the flock. I watched them carefully for most of the day to make sure he/she was accepted & everything was fine. In the late afternoon I was in the kitchen & heard an almighty squaking & screeching from down below. I looked out & the neighbors cat had got him. I am sooo upset, & feel so guilty that I had let them venture out. Mama is beside herself & on top of that she is being totally outcast as she tries to rejoin the general population. What a sad sad ending from what had been a happy positive day [​IMG]
    Felicity

2. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

:aww I am so sorry......... don't be to hard on yourself....I have waiting until mine were much older and still had things come out of nowhere and nab them.......... it happens...........sad,but it does..........

3. jessied1227

jessied1227 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    East Brady, PA
    Aw, so sorry.

Don't beat yourself up. Things happen, no matter how hard we try to keep them safe.

[​IMG]

4. cheepchicks

cheepchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2007
    Indiana
    Sorry to hear about Peep. [​IMG]

5. newchickowner

newchickowner Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2007
    Texas
    I'm sooo sorry! Gosh, I was wondering how long I'm to wait before letting mine back into the general population? I don't believe I'll have a problem with outside predators cause of my dogs, but was wondering about the general population accepting them. I'm worried about the safety of my chicks too.

again, sorry about Peep!

6. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    thats terrible

did you tell them that there cat ate your chicken?
    maybe if you give the mom another chick she well raise it

7. mamaboyd

mamaboyd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    Kendal.Ontario,Canada
    sorry to hear about Peep. [​IMG]

8. feldon

feldon Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2007
    Everson WA
    Thank you all. I know that it's all in natures big picture, but it still hurts. Now poor mama is going through it because she's now back with general population & is finding herself low man on the totem pole.
    Felicity

9. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    I am soo so sorry to hear that an poor momma, she tried so hard for so long to have a baby. [​IMG]

10. ChrystalGail

ChrystalGail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2007
    Casa Grande, AZ
    I'm sooo sorry! [​IMG] I lost a flock of 7 4 weekers to my neighbors dog. I know how you feel! :aww

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by