sad day for the packing peanuts :(

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sdshoars, Jun 14, 2008.

1. sdshoars

sdshoars Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Texas
    i have desperately been trying to find a home for my seven little packing peanuts (leghorns) and no one seems to want them. hubby says i need to find a place for them by tuesday or he is going to cull them. i just feel bad cuz they will only be a week old and i feel like they at least deserve a chance. but we dont have the room for them. i tried putting them on the giveaway board, craigslist, put up signs around towns. absolutely no responses. poor little guys:(

2. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    try freecycle in your town. my little roos were gont in a day.

3. sdshoars

May 12, 2008
    Texas
    the town i live in is 900 people. no freecycle or whatever it is. i think it is pretty much hopeless [​IMG]

4. Sherrie

Sherrie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2008
    NC
    Check you feed store, they might take them.. My feed store around does..

5. doodledoo

doodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    Cartersville, GA
    Where do you live - I love my leghorns and would love more.

6. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    I have an idea....I realize now that hatcheries are notoriously bad at sexing chicks...I think we all know that. How many posts are there about sexed pullets turning into roos? I only have 6 sexed pullets and TWO of them are roos, that's 30% (not the 90% they advertise). Tell your hubby that you should wait and see if they are actually roos, no sense giving away a perfectly good pullet! That way you have time for someone to respond to your craigslist, and I'm sure they will in time. I've rehomed 12 roos so far, I live in rural Maine, not in a big city. I rehomed 11 packing peanuts and a roo I got from a fellow member.

Feeding them will only cost you a few dollars and you probably have at least one or two pullets in the bunch!

[​IMG]

7. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Quote:I agree.

I am kinda dreading my chicks getting older. I am so afraid most,, if not all will be roos. Which we absolutely can not have

8. sdshoars

May 12, 2008
    Texas
    i live in southern NV. i will ship them if you want. and as for keeping them to find out... we have no room for them right now as it is, and even if they were pullets, i couldnt keep them. my coop is just not big enough. i even marked no males for warmth but ideal sent them anyways... gah. i did that because i knew i would have such a hard time rehoming them.

9. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I'm sorry for your dilemma. Personally, I'm hesitant to give away roos because in my area many folks use them for cruel purposes such as training pit bulls or fighting cocks. A quick humane culling may be a kinder way to go. A zoo, nature center, or wildlife rehab place may want them for feed, they'd dispatch them humanely first. At the very least, bury them near a tree or bush so they can contribute to its growth. Again, I'm sorry you have to deal with this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by