Sad day in duck land

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duck commander, Apr 4, 2018.

1. duck commander

duck commander Chirping

Jul 5, 2013
    Very sad here. My good duck, Francis, has departed for the great pond in the sky. She was a good duck who loved to talk...a lot. She gave me copious amounts of delicious eggs and years of good company.
    I ask advise now, from you all, learned duck people... What is to be of her boyfriend, Izzy, the sole remaining duck in my yard? They have been together since ducklinghood. Does he conceive of death? Is loneliness an issue for ducks? What to do now?

2. blayt90

blayt90 Crowing

Jan 11, 2018
    Magee, Mississippi
    My Coop
    Loneliness is a very big issue for ducks he needs at least one more duck to be with 3 would be better if you have room.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  3. duck commander

duck commander Chirping

Jul 5, 2013
    Please, tell me... I want to get two ducklings. I plan on keeping them separated from my big duck by mesh, but in the same coop. Do you suppose that would be a salve for his loneliness?

chickens really likes this.
  4. blayt90

blayt90 Crowing

Jan 11, 2018
    Magee, Mississippi
    My Coop
    I am not sure if you can I would buy grown ducks and then slowly introduce him to them. If not thenbuy ducklings and put them together after they get their juvenile feathers.

5. DuckyLovin2

DuckyLovin2 Chirping

Mar 22, 2018
    Mississippi
    I'm so sorry for your loss
    I would get him a companion sooner rather than later
    Depression is huge on them
    Also if you find that you have to take a bit of time to raise another before intro be ready to cater to him as much as possible
    Try to be his companion as much as you are able in your daily routine until he accepts a duck friend
    This is a tricky problem we are all sure to face with coupled ducks
    I myself have two that are inseparable at just three weeks
    If anything happens to one of mine I am prepared to move the other close to me as much as possible try to be it's buddy without completely bringing it inside for the remainder of its life
    Just do the best you can sometimes even then they just can't get over it
    Again heart break They are such emotional creatures

Miss Lydia and thumper650 like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: