Sad Day...lost a rooster

rooster0209

Songster
11 Years
Apr 7, 2008
North Dakota
One of my guinea roosters was hit on the road today. They are not scared of vehicles at all and there is really no way of keeping them off the road, other than locking them up. If you do that, you might as well not have them.

They aren't tame, but still. Some people will not do anything to avoid an animal on the road. I dont know, but I bet he could have been avoided. Poor guy, made it to over a year old too.

I am going to miss him

The loss of your guinea saddens me. You're right that many drivers don't try to avoid animals on the road; the way some of them drive, they probably don't even see them, or if they do, they aim for them.

I had guineas back in the spring, but I had the same problem. They wouldn't stay out of the road. One female did hatch a clutch of babies (25), but something got them all. I am like you, what is the use of having them if you have to pen them up. I loved them, but I won't get anymore.
sad.png

Guineas seem to like being in the road. Couldn't tell you how many times I've started to give someone directions to my house only to have them stop me and ask "the place with the Guineas in the road?".
I lose 1 or 2 a year but I have them for insect control so caging them isn't an option.

Quote:
I have the exact same issue.

I wonder how long the hen that paired w/that rooster will pair up with the other pair? She is sticking close to the coop. I have quite a few eggs in the bator so I will have more. They arent really tame, so I wasnt "close" to him, but still dont like seeing them on the road.

DH picked it up and fed it to his moms barn cats. Told me it didnt go to waste
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom