Sad day...Lost my favorite hen to a predator.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by scubagirlwonder, Oct 16, 2011.

1. scubagirlwonder

scubagirlwonder Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    Sammamish, WA
    Ugh....Lost my sweet girl Bob (yes, we named a hen Bob....it just fit her for some reason) last night, evidently the hen house door wasn't all the way latched and something (most likely a raccoon) managed to get inside the coop. Double whammy...thought the coop was secure, thought the hen house was closed up.....apparently not. Bob was my favorite of our 4 chickens; friendly, curious, would come running when you approached the coop, and BEAUTIFUL! My husband and I feel so guilty for not protecting her adequately!! She will be missed, it's just not going to be as much fun having chickens without her around.
    Here's a pic of her as a young hen and one where she decided she needed to check out the camera.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Uhhh so sad. I'm so sorry. [​IMG] I have two Silver laced wyandotte chicks that are 3 weeks old and would die if something happend to them. I really am sorry. [​IMG]

3. yankeedoodle300

yankeedoodle300 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Chicken Heaven
    Im So sorry1 [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] She was Beautiful!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. ErikaSmit

ErikaSmit Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    Schererville, IN
    I know how you feel, I'm sorry for your loss :-(

5. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    Sorry to hear that. [​IMG] Same thing happened to us yesterday but it was a guinea hen. Both my DH and I thought the other had locked them up and both coops were exposed.

6. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Bob was so pretty.. I'm sorry you lost her. [​IMG]

7. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Oh how it hurts when you lose one of your feathered friends...so sorry.

8. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    [​IMG] so sorry for your loss.

9. scubagirlwonder

scubagirlwonder Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    Sammamish, WA
    THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR KIND WORDS!!!!

I am just so angry at myself for not making sure they were secured, we had something knock over/dig through our trash two days ago, so we had ample warning that something's been visiting us during the night, but we just didn't think enough of it! BAH!

Thanks again everybody, the sweet comments you all have sent are one of the big reasons that I enjoy this forum, it's such a "family" here. Thanks!

10. Dowie

Dowie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Quote:Woulda...shoulda. I wish we COULD go back in time, it's so awful to feel guilty, but we just can't. It's hard to lose a pet to a predator. Sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by