Sad day - my Boston Terrier has terminal cancer

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Southernbelle, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I got my Boston Terrier, Taz, from Boston Terrier Rescue Assoc back in 1999 when he was 1 1/2 years old. I've had him longer than my husband and children. He's now 12 1/2 years old and over the last year or so, he's been slowing down and has gotten a multitude of lumps and bumps all over (benign, accdording to the vet.)

On Saturday I noticed swelling under his jaw and he had 2 even egg-sized lumps under his jaw. I immediately thought of a problem with the Lymph nodes and checked his armpits but didn't feel anything, but then, I have no idea what I'm looking for. I got the earliest appt with my vet and my dog has Lymphatic Sarcoma (spelling?) basically: advanced cancer of the Lymphatic system and it is terminal. He said we probably have 3 more months with Taz.

He doesn't seem to be in pain right now. The doc gave me a steroid Rx to reduce the swelling and make him more comfortable. I want to keep him home with us as long as we can. I knew we didn't have a lot of time left with him, he's 12 after all, but I didn't realize his number would come up so soon!

[​IMG]

I'm going to miss this dog!

2. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    Im sorry for Taz [​IMG] We have Boston Terriers their very loyal dogs.

3. Southernbelle

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Thanks, Emzyyy, he's a wonderful dog and I'm really glad I adopted him.

4. Oh my goodness, im so sorry for you [​IMG] At least he had a great life with you. On a side note, he looks like he has chihauhau in him.

5. astylishgirl

astylishgirl Animal Lover Supreme

Apr 27, 2009
    Beaumont, Texas
    I am so sorry. I had a Westie that died of cancer and it just about broke my heart. [​IMG]

This post is making me sad. That is the cutest dog. My heart just hurts for you.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  6. lurky

lurky Songster

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I'm so sorry [​IMG] We had quite a scare last weekend with one of our little ones. You gave Taz a good home and many good years he was so lucky for [​IMG]

7. Southernbelle

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:Maybe [​IMG] He's 22# and stands about 18" off the ground, so he's tall for a Boston. Since I got him from a Rescue they didn't know much about him. I always assumed he was a pet store/puppy mill dog surrendered to the Rescue. I always thought he was all the cuter for being non-standard. [​IMG]

8. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    Our Boston is also big though they used to breed them bigger and once in awhile you get a big one

9. Southernbelle

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:I've been crying all day. He's the first dog I got on my own, so the first time I'm going through something like this. I knew my BYC friends would understand.

10. bheila

bheila Songster

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    Awwwww, he's adorable [​IMG] I'm so sorry that you and Taz are going through this. Spent every moment you can with him until it's time for him to go [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: