Sad day on the farm

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Frank758, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Frank758

Frank758 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2012
    We couldn't find the 9 month old silkie hen the other eve when we were putting up the chickens, thought maybe a hawk, but I knew the rooster was Dooing his job because I can see the enclosed garden from the house . Searched the garden , used a flashlight to check the small pond, sadly the next morning she surfaced under the ice on the fish pond. All the other chickens have come close before but have never had any interest in getting too close
    To the water. Do you think some chickens just don't fear things ,I wonder if the other 7
    hens realize she is gone.There definitely was a pecking order with her being the youngest. Miss her she was the same color as my Rooster[​IMG]

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    So sorry for your loss. At least it wasn't a predator. Open bodies of water can be a hazard. Occasionally, someone will post that their chicken drowned in an open bucket or a rain barrel.

3. Frank758

Frank758 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2012
    Thank you for your kind words,I noticed you are from Maine and just watched the news. I guess you have your own troubles up there with the weather, I have a sister in law in providence ,R.I.our small amount of snow seems so insignificant to what you are dealing with.keep warm

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    We're well equipped to deal with the snow and ice. But my heart goes out to those who are not so blessed. We have wood heat, gas stove, so are ok with the many extended power outages we get... except for having to haul water, but again, blessed b/c we recently got a new generator, so can run the well pump. Have been w/o power for up to 13 days before. Usually just 2 - 3 days! It's the folks with electric or oil heat, who don't have a generator who are at the greatest risk. Thanks for your concern. Winter is a drudge, to be sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by