1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sad day today.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Bayford21, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Bayford21

Bayford21 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2013
    bayford virginia
    I have a small flock of chickens that free range by day locked up at night. I have lost my favorite little birds. I had a rooster named Saul who would fly up and perch on my shoulder, always a character. Fearless too, bout the size of a dove....hawk got him and my little Brahma hen.... I'm so ******. Irate really he would fly up and jump in feed pail while I walked around just a sweet loveable animated bird.....dam hawks

2. itlog

itlog Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2013
    Zone 5, Midwest
    That's so sad. Very sorry you lost your birds. Coincidentally my bantams almost got eaten last week by a red tailed hawk. They got away since My daughter heard them freakin out and I was able to go out and scare it away. Then yesterday I went out and saw it looking from a mulberry tree into their chicken run. Luckily their run has a roof. Kinda stinks I can't let them free range as much.

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Sorry about the loss of your little bantams, darn hawks are a big problem with the little guys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by