Sad Day!!! UPDATE ****PICS OF NEW ROOSTER**** BEWARE OF SNAKES!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Southern28Chick, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    Sgt. Major Bok Bok (my only roo) was killed today by a 4' black snake. My heart is hurting. I know these things happen, but it is still a sad day.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2007
  2. cheapcheap_jeepjeep

cheapcheap_jeepjeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Villa Grove
    I am sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you.
    [​IMG]

3. joanm

joanm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2007
    Oh, so sorry! My sis and I had a good laugh on another post from you on your roos name - we loved it! I'm so sorry!

4. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    I'm not try to replace him but I'm looking for another rooster locally. I know that my pullets don't need a rooster but I know they'll feel safer with one around. Bok Bok was killed by the snake trying to protect the girls from it. He gave his life for them.

I found two 1 year old roosters for free on craigs list. Is is ok to get them and put them in with my 23 five weeks old pullets?

5. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

:aww
    Poor Bok Bok! He was a cute little boy. What a good roo for giving up himself for the sake of his girls. He's a hero!

6. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    He is a hero. I love him so much for what he did. I will never find a better rooster than him. He was the best chicken I had. He will really be missed.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'm so sorry for your loss! If you do get another rooster, please quarantine him for about a month before you put him with your birds! He could have something that won't show up till later on and could infect your girls. I'd hate to have something happen to them after you lost your boy.

8. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Awww, Bok Bok! He was such a sweetheart and what a brave boy. I know he'll be missed terribly. You must have seen it!!???? Stupid snake!

Ellen

9. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    I walk in the chicken yard right after the snake had killed him and was trying to eat him. I wanted to kill it so bad. DH talked me out of shotting the jerk, killing that snake would have made me feel worse. I know the snake was doing what was natural to it. DH picked the snake up and put it in a box and took it out to the Tar River.

I found a Dominique roo locally. I'm going to pick him up soon, I hope. I feel bad like I'm trying to replace my Bok Bok, but I feel better knowing my girls have a roo to take care of them like Bok did.

10. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    I'm sorry for your loss. What a great roo! Da*& snake!

I don't think you should feel guilty getting another. Actually, it's testimony to what a GREAT rooster he was that you want to get another one. It isn't a replacement in your heart, at ALL.

-Meghan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by