Sad Day Yesterday a Legend is Gone!!!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by lockedhearts, Dec 5, 2010.

1. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I rarely post here anymore but since most of you that have been around awhile knew that I had gotten him from Speckledhen, I felt I should.

The Wonderful Gorgeous Barred Rock Rooster, The Infamous DUTCH is gone [​IMG]

I found him yesterday when I went out to feed and water. He had been in the middle of a molt so am sure that and our weird warm/cold weather had a lot to do with it.

I called Cyn to let her know and he is buried along side some of the others we have lost.

Dutch will be missed greatly. I am so blessed to have shared my life with him, even if for a short time.

Dutch was happy here, he had 4 girls of his own and was very good to them.

I am also happy that I did not sell RuPaul, my rooster that was one of Dutch's offspring.

GoodBye Dutch Boy [​IMG]

Here is a pic of Dutch

[​IMG]

Here is RuPaul , Dutchs Son

[​IMG]

2. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

So sorry...he was beautiful! [​IMG]

3. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

I read Cynthia's post regarding Dutch's passing. I am sorry for your loss; he was a handsome bird, and I am sure he will be missed. It sounds as though he was happy and exceedingly well cared for and loved. What more can a chicken ask? [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    I am so sorry for you loss. I lost my beautiful FOGGY a Barred Rock Roo earlier in the year. Not sure what it is with that breed of rooster but I cried for days when he died. They have the best personality.

5. jdw2476

jdw2476 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2010
    wills point texas
    sorry to hear about the loss of that beautiful guy i also lost my buddy rudy roo on thanksgiving when a cold front came in with rain and he refused to go in the coupe i found him dead the next morning with the hens laying next to him ill post a pic it isnt a good one but he was a beautiful RIR roo.

[​IMG]

6. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    I remember a Roo named Dutch, sorry he's gone now.
    This is a depressing thread but I am so glad you have his offspring.

Dont know why but it seems harder to loose a good Roo than a favorite Hen.

7. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    [​IMG]

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Thanks to Karen for giving him a second chance. Late in life (over a year and a half old), he and I developed some issues between us stemming from a period when we had to remove him from his girls at night to allow his wattles and comb to heal from tussles with his younger brother--they'd pick at him at night on the roost. He had decided I was to blame for some reason and on occasion, he would rush me or bite. He finally, after many months of on-again, off-again stuff like that, flogged me and came back for round #2.

We almost put him down, but Karen said she'd like to have him and we let him go live with her. He had a few months that he wouldn't have had otherwise. Dutch was a fine flock rooster, very gentle with his girls, wonderful in every way except for that last period of time when he decided I wasn't his friend anymore. I will miss knowing he's in the world. Thank you, Karen for giving him a chance. As with all of Hawkeye's sons, he'll always have a place in my heart. I still have Zane, who is 3 years old now. Dutch was just a few months younger than Zane.

9. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    RIP, Dutch. You have had many that loved you dearly...something very special... [​IMG]

10. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Lockedhearts and Speckledhen -

So sorry to hear that Dutch died - he was magnificent, a Roo to be proud of!

My thoughts are with you both

Suzie

[​IMG]:hugs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by