Sad day :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cass1490, Dec 11, 2016.

1. Cass1490

Cass1490 New Egg

May 10, 2016
    Hey guys.
    Sad day in the white house here. I've got my silkie in my arms, she didn't head back into the coop tonight when it got cold and when i went outside she was laying in the middle of the yard.
    she can't control her legs and won't lift her head.
    she's got blood in her mouth.

Jesus.. Her name is Ziggy. very sweet bird. everytime i went outside she would follow me and sit on my feet until i picked her up. when i would head back in she'd waltz right in after me like she owned the place.
    i don't know if i should just put her down right now or see if she can make it through the night (i doubt it)...
    i brought her inside and she's wrapped up in a warm towel in my arms..

2. Wickedchicken6

Wickedchicken6 No Rest For The WicKed Premium Member

Nov 7, 2015
    Southwestern MB, Canada
    I'm not sure how cold it is there...but it sounds like she's gotten too cold. It may take a while for her to respond, but warm her. Don't put her in front of really strong heat but warm air circulating around her will warm her up a bit quicker than in a towel. If this works ad she begins to respond...I would give her electrolytes with vitamins if you have that on hand. Electrolytes are the main thing for her to have once she starts responding so her tissues receive energy as soon as possible.

3. SunflowerTheBun

SunflowerTheBun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2016
    Victoria, Australia.
    Wow - thoughts be with you - I agree to keep her warm but I'm no sickness expert so hopefully someone else can help you out. Best of luck! [​IMG][​IMG]

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

The best thing to do is get her warm......Possibly to far gone at this point?

Silkies can not take supper cold temps......Location in your profile would help.........

Cheers!

5. How is she?

6. Wickedchicken6

Nov 7, 2015
    Southwestern MB, Canada
    X2 I've been thinking of her all day.
    I started writing earlier, but I wasn't sure what to write. I hope she's ok.

7. Cass1490

Cass1490 New Egg

May 10, 2016

She couldn't make it through the night. I kept her inside in a carrier crate lined with a soft blanket, also threw a towel in the dryer to make it warm and draped it over the crate.
    Sadly we've lost her.

8. I am really sorry to hear that... I have lost many a bird. It does not make it any easier to get through. She was well loved.

9. Wickedchicken6

Nov 7, 2015
    Southwestern MB, Canada

10. SunflowerTheBun

SunflowerTheBun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2016
    Victoria, Australia.
    :( You did your best

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by