Sad Day

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by smalltownflock, Apr 6, 2018.

1. smalltownflock

smalltownflock Chirping

Jan 8, 2018
    so I came home today all excited to check on my girls, especially since one has gone broody and I was going to let her do all of the work and hatch and raise her chicks. well that excitement ended fast, I went down to the coop and 2 of my silkie hens were against the chicken wire inside the fully fenced in and covered run and their heads had been removed, my other hen was up in the coop dead and my rooster was laying next to coops ramp also dead. I'm guessing the last two died from a heart attack. my question is, what out there would only remove the heads of two of the chickens and not touch the other two or the eggs in the nest boxes??

2. CCUK

CCUK Free Flying

Jan 21, 2018
    North Notts, UK
    My Coop
    Oh man. Thats a horrible thing to come home to. I'm not sure but possibly a racoon could be responsible. I'm really sorry.

nerfworthy and m1chelle1 like this.
  3. m1chelle1

m1chelle1 Songster

Jan 12, 2017
    The Great PNW
    :hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs Im So SORRY for your loss!!!!
    Sounds like raccoons or possums :( This happened to my brothers ducks. And Ive heard of attacks like this before

4. smalltownflock

smalltownflock Chirping

Jan 8, 2018
    Yeah it was not good. It's pretty clear that whatever it was it did it from outside the coop as the only ones to have any damage to them are right against the fencing, but it had to have happened during the day because they wouldn't have been out of the coop otherwise

happyfrenchman and m1chelle1 like this.
  5. nerfworthy

nerfworthy Songster

Mar 29, 2018
    South Western Idaho
    Nooo! That's terrible! I'm so sorry for your loss, friend :hugs

m1chelle1 likes this.
  6. m1chelle1

m1chelle1 Songster

Jan 12, 2017
    The Great PNW
    Yes, I am more certain it was a raccoon. they have excellent dexterity and are known for reaching in and breaking off chickens heads. Now that I know that they were up against the inside of the fence like that, this exact thing happened to my neighbors chickens. I ended up giving her a large BO cockerel of mine who now helps defend against them. I am sad for yours having died prob trying to defend his ladies!:hit:hit:hit

nerfworthy likes this.
  7. m1chelle1

m1chelle1 Songster

Jan 12, 2017
    The Great PNW
    Do you have any left? If so, the way she is now guarding against them reaching INSIDE the actual fence is by using one of these techniques http://www.yourfencestore.com/slats/option-lock-fence-slat.asp
    she weaved them into the bottom 3' of the fence and it has so far done the trick to ward off further attacks

8. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    Oh No! I'm so sorry! I agree with the others that it was probably a raccoon. Last year I had something go through two layers of electric net, and kill one of my Easter Eggers, eating nothing except the head and neck. A few days later I saw some Raccoon tracks nearby, so I'm assuming that is what did it. Raccoons are crafty little buggers, and can get it almost anything. Sorry for your losses!

9. chickendreams24

chickendreams24 Crowing

Jul 30, 2015
    Wisconsin, USA
    So very sorry for your losses.

Run 1/2-1/4" hardware cloth around the bottom three feet of your run and make sure it's covered. Of course the hardware cloth must be tight and be wired to the regular fencing as well. Also make sure your coop is predator proof. How far along are the broody's eggs? If you've saved them they may still be viable.
    We have had some terrible predators over the last few years. Please don't give up. Get some more birds to help you heal.

10. RodNTN

RodNTN Hatchaolic

May 22, 2013
    The Volunteer State
    My Coop
    I am so sorry :hugs That is so terrible, it was more than likely a raccoon :( So sorry :hugs

happyfrenchman likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: