Sad day

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LilyD, Aug 18, 2011.

1. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    So previously I posted about a chicken that I had that was 7 weeks old who had injured his leg at a week old and it didn't heal correctly.

[​IMG]

After weeks of searching for some way to help him, his leg seemed to be getting worse rather than better and he was only able to scoot around a little bit, mainly on his belly since his leg wouldn't straighten out. There are no vets in our area that do chickens because they are considered to be too difficult to work with. I called again to my local vets office that only does cats and dogsand asked once again if they would take a look at him since he was a special case and they said they would see him. They looked at his leg and just like I thought they would say they said that while he didn't seem painful he wouldn't ever be able to walk at all because of his leg because the tendons and muscles in the legs were no longer working the way they should. They said that he would end up with further injuries from trying to walk the way he was from scrubbing his belly and chest on the ground and they asked if I would like to put him down.

While it is very sad that I had to say goodbye to someone who had become a good friend in 8 short weeks. I am glad that I was able to find a way to help him that was respectful of him and his life.

A lot of people cull their chickens at home but I can't do that. I thought about it, but I would always wonder if I had caused him pain or scared him too much before he went. They charged me 12$ but it was a good investment in my eyes so that I know he was well taken care of.

Farewell little one [​IMG]

2. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    I'm sorry you had to go through this, but you did the right thing [​IMG] He would never have been able to get away from predators or aggressive chickens--he may not have survived for very long, no matter how much you did for him. It's great they only charged you $12, I know quite a few vets would take advantage of someone in your situation.

3. Alethea

Alethea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    I'm sorry for your loss and that you had to make such a difficult decision. The important thing is that you loved him and had his welfare in mind.

4. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Yes it was great they didn't charge me much but I would have paid more to help him out. It's unfortunate that there are no vets that want to do chickens around here. They only did it because they have seen all of my pets forever so when I couldn't find anyone they said they would help even though they don't see them normally. I am just glad that he won't suffer anymore. It can't have been comfortable not to do all the normal chicken things like trying to fly and chasing bugs.

5. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    I'm so sorry... you're a wonderful person.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by