Sad Day

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by ChickenScratchin, Sep 10, 2011.

1. ChickenScratchin

ChickenScratchin Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    Colorado
    Very upset that one of my black australorps died today. I don't know what caused it, specifically.

The door into the coop from the field where they free range had fallen closed the night before last. I always go out a little bit after it gets dark to close the doors and check on everyone, so that's when I discovered that some had gotten locked out. All 3 australorp girls had been so crazed to get into the coop that they had tried to force themselves into a section where the fence runs along the side of the coop (I've since repaired this so they cannot do this again - you wouldn't have thought they could squeeze in there at ALL.) I got them out as gently as I could, and didn't detect any injuries at that time. This was the same day that I caught and removed 2 of the cockerels to send them to my aunt's house for her flock.

Yesterday morning I checked everyone over and didn't see any signs of injury (or illness). They did seem a bit stressed out and anxious, but nothing extreme by any means.

They all seemed fine today, ate well and were ranging normally. About 2 this afternoon, my son went to check for eggs and said everyone seemed fine - he didn't see anyone acting strange. I was outside near the coop most of the afternoon working on some new nest boxes and whatnot.

At about 3:30, I went into the coop to measure something and found her dead on the floor right in front of the door. She had no injuries I could find, and there was no sign of illness or poor health. My only guess is that perhaps she had an internal injury (what though?) or maybe the stress of the other night and the flock change (roos gone) that it was too much for her. Or perhaps some illness with NO symptoms. [​IMG]

I'm just so very sad to lose her, especially just before starting to lay, and wish I knew exactly why. [​IMG]

2. kaybats

kaybats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    I'm so sorry...[​IMG] ....I hope you can figure out the answer.

Even if you can't, remember her for the sweetheart she was. I know, easier said than done....[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    sorry for your loss
    I know how you feel 3 days ago we found one of our cockrels dead behind the feed bin with no visible signs of injury or illness. It looked like he had just fell dead from the roost. We still are puzzeled why this happened to what seemed to be a heathy chicken. The only thing we found later was a peice of plastic grocery bag that looked like it had been eaten and regurgitated. thought he might have eaten that and had got stuck in his craw.

4. ChickenScratchin

ChickenScratchin Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    Colorado
    Thanks guys... I just wish I knew why. [​IMG] So frustrating.

5. Dowie

Dowie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Sorry for your loss! [​IMG] It's so puzzling, maybe she was just really really stressed and maybe had a weak heart? I hope you find out.

6. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    [​IMG]

7. Help_battery_hens

Help_battery_hens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Northamptonshire
    aw the poor little baby im so sorry for you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by