Sad day...

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Sess, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Sess

Sess Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2013
    Indeed I lost one of my quails today while I was cleaning her sand out my very skittish one which is also the youngest has flown the coop right passed me. I'm thinking about getting a male for them now since the others arent so bad to handle but I want to hatch them I think the one that escaped was handled very very badly when she was growing because keeps hitting her head on the roof of the cage everytime a human comes by it so I hope she's happy in the forest behind my apartment. But what would I need to house the younglings in? I'm buying a new LG rabbit cage since the older one is falling apart but should I get a aquarium instead or does it even matter?

2. What type of quail do you have?

If you have Coturnix it is likely that the escapee will come back to the pen/cage that they have been in. If it was a Bob it will probably hide very well.

Rabbit cages can work. I have used 2X2 cages for breeder pens and it worked welll.

Wish ya the best.

3. Sess

Sess Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2013
    All of mine are coturnix I dont even know if she will she's very scared and I know there is a normal for it but for her its like her daily personatily she doesnt even lay eggs anymore because she's stressing herself out with it and thank you for the info I have a medium rabbit hutch that I use during the winter months so they can get out the wind but I'm thinking of getting a rabbit instead since I have a heat lamp winters havent been below 50 here in years lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by