1. dina123

dina123 New Egg

Jul 5, 2013
    I noticed yesterday that my number one girl had a very pale comb. This morning she was dead. I have looked at the chart but am wondering how to know what killed her. It wasn't a predator. She was dead in the coop overnight.

Anyone have any ideas?

This is a sad day.

Dina

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It would be difficult to guess without knowing her age, history, etc. Some things that could possibly cause her death could be heart failure, coccidiosis, mite infestation causing anemia, worms, impacted or sour crop, some poison or bad thing she ate, or many diseases. I would catch the others in the evening on the roost and check them over for anything unusual. Sorry for your loss.

3. Beulah89

Beulah89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry for your loss :hugs

4. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    My condolences on the loss of your girl.

5. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    Sorry for your loss.[​IMG] Was she eating and drinking fine prior to her death? Also, was she as active as usual?

6. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I'm very sorry you lost your girl! Its always hard to loose a beloved pet.as for what the cause of death was their are not enough clues to speculate. It could be many things. Sometimes pale combs can be a sign of respitory illness but without other symptoms to support that we really can't begin to guess. You can send the body off to a lab to study and they can tell you the Actual cause of death. without doing that we are just guessing. Again im so very sorry for your loss and I'm also sorry we can't say what caused her death. There are just too many variables that could have caused it. My prayers are with you. Watch the other flock members closely incase it was a contagious virus. Making sure they are not showing any symptoms. I wish the best for you and again I'm very sorry for your loss

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by